Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wheres the REST of googles results ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I typed "tablet wallpaper" into google images. It says

"About 25,800,000 results"

I keep clicking "Show more results" until I get to "page" 50 and it ends with a picture that says "I heart ipad".

Then thats it. No button to load more results. Google said 25,800,000 results. That certainly wasn't 25,800,000 results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I did a search using your exact phrase and my results were: About 47,100,000 results (0.15 seconds)

A quick google search for a definition of those results netted:

Statistics Bar: Describes your search, includes the number of results on the current results page and an estimate of the total number of results, as well as the time your search took. For the sake of efficiency, Google estimates the number of results; it would take considerably longer to compute the exact number. This estimate is unreliable.

Bold is mine.

From the preceding I extrapolate that the guesstimation number is a product of Google's algorithm for every possibility of those two words and how they would be used as well as them being used combined. As well as possibly wall and paper individually . To get every single one of those guesstimated results you would likely need to refine your search parameters repeatedly. For example Samsung 'tablet wallpaper' then ipad 'tablet wallpaper' so on and so on. Not to mention probably include every known language as well. This is my theory.

Also there was this bit of information about search results:

Ordered by relevance to your query, with the result that Google considers the most relevant listed first. Consequently you are likely to find what you're seeking quickly by looking at the results in the order in which they appear. Google assesses relevance by considering over a hundred factors, including how many other pages link to the page, the positions of the search terms within the page, and the proximity of the search terms to one another.

Both quotes from: http://www.googleguide.com/results_page.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I did a search and got "About 72,000,000 results" on 51 pages...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users