Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless acting up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moose88

Moose88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have a Windows 7 desktop with a wireless network connection... A few days ago I booted up and it wouldn't connect to the internet, the light on the adapter would just flash slowly like it was searching for a connection. In the notification area it the wireless signal would be a grey circle. I tried for hours trying to see what went wrong, I reinstalled my network driver but it was no help. So I restored the computer to a few days back, and WALA, it started working again...

Now, it just happened again.. It wouldnt connect to my internet, I did the Diagnose problems & it first said to verify network key, then said I didnt have an IP... so I restored it again to a few days back, now its working again :/

I need to figure out why this could be happening.. I hope I can find help here. If this is a sign of my network adapter going bad? What in the registry could be going wrong? I dont know what to do...

Thank you for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

How far from your desktop are you connecting to your home wireless network? Is it connecting automatically to network once windows is loaded in your desktop or not? The intermittent problem could also mean a faulty network adapter.

Tekken

#3 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

With your internet connection working do the following:

Left click the start button, and into the "search programs and files"box type CMD
this will open a command prompt window

into this window type ipconfig. a load of text will appear. find your ipv4 ip adresss, it will be something like 192.168.1.2 looking at the area that you found this number, also note down your default gateway

now type ping *default gateway* into the command prompt, this should report success.(*default gateway* being the number you wrote down). This step was done so you can see a working ping

next step happens at next failiure. ping the default gateway, if that works, but no internet then phone your isp
ping 127.0.0.1 if that fails you need a new network card
ping your ipv4 address. if that fails you have issues with your tcp/ip stack, try uninstalling and reinstalling tcpip services

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Does your computer have a Wireless Switch that turns the Wireless on/off?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users