Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Recovery Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 p8315

p8315

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I need help to recover my Admin password or to remove it. Please understand this is my pc. I talked with dell last night they want a 199.00 :o to reset it with the Operating System disk, and that includes a year if i have any trouble. Well I believe I will not be forgetting my password any more. This is an older dell I got in 2003. Yes it still run yet very slow….
So far I have tried to go into safe mode but it still asks for the admin password. I have tired the “Ophcrack” didn’t find a password. Tried the “Offline NT Password” nothing, I don’t think I did this on that one right. Mite retry it.. :wacko:
I only every used the Admin on this pc and I do have a guest acct. but it is block I mean everything, I can such the net but cannot even download Google chrome. I remember doing that because I have had to format the hard drive because of my girls getting viruses on it. :angry: This system has all my family tree research on it. And besides that it still works fine. I understand some do not want to explain the process because people do steel. I assure you this is my PC. I will give you my info and you can call dell and they will verify it. If you don’t want to post on here please email me at (email address removed) or my account email is fine to…
Thanks
Paula :)

*Moderator Edit: email address removed to protect you from those who troll the internet looking for addresses to spam ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

System model?

I think that we need some clarification as to what type of password you reference. If Dell wanted to charge money...I don't think it's a typical user password that you refer to...and I've not heard of Dell ever charging the ridiculous sum you quoted...for recovery disks.

FWIW: There are various retailers who sell these recovery disks...for far less than you stated.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 April 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ok This is my daughters lap top. So I have her user account password but under user accounts is shows as Computer administrator,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423101.html/page__view__findpost__p__2437979
Is this the same computer you posted about during Oct, Nov, Dec last year, and Jan this year ??

#4 p8315

p8315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

No Well maybe, this computer is a Dell Opti Plex Pentium 4 with out looking at the history I may have I asked about it. The newer Dell I have I got at Wal-Mart. I might have asked about the older one this year because I was wanting to hook them together, if that is at all possible. As for my daughters lap top we got that one fixed. I know I am always asking question on here and they are usually about different computers. My dad who live in PA pick up old used pc's at flee markets and they think i am some computer wiz but the truth is, you guys are the ones that help me to help them. Dad thinks they are just fine, which for what he does it is. He just surfs the net which is helping him to learn how to type, use email and how to get viruses.... LOL
The old one is Service code JY20331 The last time i hooked it up was in 2010 when my daughter graduated i was looking for old pic for a memory book. I even said to my self i am going to for get this password because i had a hard time them and yes i was dumb enough not to change it or write it down, My mother-inlaw gave me her old compact and i was also wanting to know if i can take any of the parts out of hers and put in my old dell to speed it up.

As for dell the lady said the 199.00 would be good for all my pc for a year if i had prob.
this is my face book id 1648488727 i have nothing to hid
All i can say on the password is even if i go into safe mode it asks for the admin. password. I have tried to remember trust me. I thought it was eisenhower my old address then again i am wanting to say it has numbers in it. I am still racking my brain but no luck. :angry:
Thanks for your help if you choose to help
Paula

#5 RKC402

RKC402

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Paula I would suggest you try Ophcrack v3.3.1 you can read about it hear
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/ophcrack.htm

And you can download it from

hearhttp://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=213&gps=324_8_1423_758&f=00&su=p504.6.342.ip_&tt=4&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

Paula I would suggest you try Ophcrack v3.3.1 you can read about it hear
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/ophcrack.htm

And you can download it from

http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=213&gps=324_8_1423_758&f=00&su=p504.6.342.ip_&tt=4&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

she already used it according to the first post .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Just a note...there is a difference in types of passwords employed by OEMs on systems they sell.

BIOS passwords seem to be easily bypassed...while hard disk passwords are not easily bypassed and seem to result in users having to resort to the OEM for address when lost or malfunctioning.

Louis

#8 p8315

p8315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

Louis Could you give me the steps i need to do when i did the ophcrack i got nothing no password found when i tried the offline NT it is telling me for Administrator Dis\lock for guest none for help assist dis\lock
I am not sure where to go from here.
Thanks
Paula

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sorry...I can't help your with Ophcrack...but I believe they have a support page. I have built most of the systems I have had and never employ passwords of any sort, let alone had to deal with OEM password/security controls.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users