Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FPS lag

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have a really odd issue, that I am having a hard time figuring out...

I recently repaired a friends computer with a new motherboard, and power supply. I also upgraded it to a ATI HD5450 video card (the onboard was terrible).

The systems specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 x2
Radeon HD5450 (Sapphire)
4GB DDR2 Ram (GSkill)
Foxconn Mobo
WinVista

The computer is fast and responsive while doing normal tasks, however, the computer can not run Runescape (which is something my friend wants to be able to do). I get a constant FPS of around 7 while playing in HD mode.

Obviously, runescape isnt that graphically intensive as it is written in java, however, this system cant seem to run it.
It meets recommended spec, so Im at a loss.

The only thing I can think of is to upgrade the CPU and GPU, but it should already run it as is.
Also, while playing I monitored the CPU usage and Ram usage. CPU usage was about 60% while Ram was about 50%.

I also put the video card in another system I had lying around with similar hardware and it ran with an FPS of around 23.
I then noticed that the PSU in the system was 300watt. I then put a 450watt PSU in it, and that didnt help either.

The last thing I noticed, and this is my major question aside form the FPS lag issues... the motherboard has a slightly bulged capacitor. Now I know this will eventually be a problem that will have to be dealt with, but I was wondering if a damaged cap can cause FPS lag in games??

Let me know what you all think, and thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

-Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

A damaged capacitor can do anything. What it does depends on what it is being used for.

One thing you can be certain of is the fact that if the computer didn't need it the motherboard would not have it.

If it is one of, for example, 8 in a row next to the CPU than it would be a filter on the VRM output (filters the CPU core voltage supply). Typical 2.5 V to 6.3V
If it is one of several larger ones (16V) near the CPU than it could be filtering the voltage into the VRMs.
If it is beside the Memory slots it is a filter for them
If it is between the PCI slots or PCI & AGP (PCIe) slots than it is a filter for the slots.

That is a general rule. Plus those are normally the ones that bulge with some exceptions.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

The cap that is bulging is near the PCI-E slot. So I suppose that could be causing issues with the vcard then... which makes sense.

He is happy playing it on low settings (which still has horrible lag), so I think it will work.
Will probably have to replace the board later on down the road though.

Thanks for your input. Im not wrong in thinking that those specs should be enough to play that game in HD mode though, right? Because what I find odd is that it doesnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users