Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 earthgalaxy

earthgalaxy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hi, I've been having a very annoying issue for about two weeks now. I believe it is an explorer.exe issue but I don't know for sure, so I'll try my best to describe it. There is also more than one symptom, but I think they share the same root problem, so I'll list each symptom. My computer starts up normally, but as soon as I try to open something, whether it be from a shortcut on my desktop or from the start menu on my taskbar, the problems begin.

1.) The windows open normally, whether I'm opening a folder, a Word document, a page on the internet, etc., but if I have multiple windows open, I cannot easily switch between them. When trying to select a different window to view from the taskbar, the new window will flash up and appear to be the active window, but as soon as I move my cursor off the taskbar, it vanishes and I'm left with the original window. So the only way to switch between them is to minimize a window before selecting a new one to view. Using alt-tab does not work.

2.) The back-button feature is malfunctioning. I press the back-button and for a split second I am returned to the previous page, but then it reverts back to the current page. At first I thought this was an issue with Mozilla Firefox, but I had the same problem in Apple Safari, and in Windows explorer (ex. when viewing the "My Pictures" folder within "My Documents," using the back-button does not successfully return me back to the "My Documents" page).

3.) When double-clicking to open a new folder, or a document, etc. instead of opening the object, my cursor appears in the name field of the object, like I'm trying to change the name. Instead of double-clicking, I must right-click the desired object and choose "open" or "explore."

4.) I cannot use the right-click feature in the taskbar. If I right click on something on the taskbar, the menu tries to appear, but flashes away far too quickly for me to mouse over to select any of the options.

At times, the taskbar has stopped working completely, and I have to restart explorer.exe to activate it again. However, restarting explorer.exe does not fix the issues described above. Other than that, I haven't tried anything else to fix it because I can't seem to find too much information about similar issues.

I have never posted before I don't know what information I should provide about my computer, or where to find that information. I have a Dell Studio 1537 laptop. Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8600 @2.40 GHz. 4.00 GB of RAM. 64-bit Operating System. My Windows is Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

Have you tried running in safemode and using external keyboard and mouse first? Did you scan also your laptop with an updated antivirus and malwarebytes? Check the task manager also for CPU and memory usage spikes when using multiple windows or process of your computer.

Tekken

#3 earthgalaxy

earthgalaxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

I've tried running in safemode with the same results. I don't have an external keyboard, but I do have an external mouse and it made no difference. McAfee Security Scan Plus and Malwarebytes have not found any problems. I've been trying to check the CPU and memory usage, but it doesn't seem to spike in relation to how many windows I have open, although during the scanning, the CPU usage did peak for a few seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users