Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

overwritten with linux unable to go back to xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 guitarsrkewl08

guitarsrkewl08

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

i overwrote the harddrive of my windows xp with linux and now i tried to use my recovery cd's to go back to xp and overwrite the linux on the system because i dont like it and dont want it but the disks are saying the computer is not the right model now altho i used these disks multipul times before i overwrote the hard drive with linux on it how can i go back to windows xp when the disks are saying invalid model btw its the system recovery cd's that came with the computer so they are the right ones im not trying to put a illegal version or any thing

Error: These PC recovery discs do NOT support this PC model

Edited by guitarsrkewl08, 13 April 2012 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Error: These PC recovery discs do NOT support this PC model

doe it not just give you the option to continue anyway ,it been a while since i see nthat error but i thought i just hit continue anyway ,i could be wrong ,you may need to use a harddrive utility to format the dive first .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 guitarsrkewl08

guitarsrkewl08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

i used emergancy recovery disk to format the linux off completely so now its clean there is no operating system currently installed and no there is not a continue option or i would have tried that

#4 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi

A couple of questions :)

When you installed Linux did you remove a recovery partition on the hard drive or was there no recovery partition?
By recovery partition, I mean the hidden partition that many OEMs put on computers with diagnostics and factory restore images for the computer.

When you used the disks in the past was it for a complete reformat and reinstall like this time?

When you removed Linux and formatted the drive, did you format it as NTFS?

Finally, what is the manufacturer and model of the computer?

James

#5 guitarsrkewl08

guitarsrkewl08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi

A couple of questions :)

When you installed Linux did you remove a recovery partition on the hard drive or was there no recovery partition?
By recovery partition, I mean the hidden partition that many OEMs put on computers with diagnostics and factory restore images for the computer.

When you used the disks in the past was it for a complete reformat and reinstall like this time?

When you removed Linux and formatted the drive, did you format it as NTFS?

Finally, what is the manufacturer and model of the computer?

James

yes i removed the recovery partition i used the disks to reformat to get rid of every thing but it was still windows when i had used it before when i overwrote windows with Linux i removed every thing xp related and yes NTFS its a compaq media center edition

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by guitarsrkewl08, 15 April 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hi

The recovery disk(s) should have the number 64NAemREA4 on them or they are not the correct disk(s) for your computer.
That's the code that is checked and if it fails the error you see is displayed.

Let us know if they do.

You can also verify that the recovery partition is gone by trying to use it.
Turn on the computer and keep tapping F10 (sometimes it is F11 so try that if F10 does not work) about once per second and see if the Restore to Factory settings options come up.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 15 April 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#7 guitarsrkewl08

guitarsrkewl08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

the recovery is definatly gone i had tried that before i used the disks to try and get it working the disks are 64NAemREA3

#8 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the last number does not matter because it is what signifies 'on the computer' or 'on the CD' or 'in the BIOS'. For example yours has a 3 for the CDs and a 4 for the sticker on the computer.

UGH! That means the motherboard needs to be serviced because it is not reporting the build ID number that it is supposed to. Since it is a hardcoded number, it has to be sent to HP to reset it. You can't do it yourself as far as I know. The number is referred to as the 'tattoo' and is in the BIOS.

Here is the official word from a manual...

This error typically happens when somebody has replaced a motherboard or hard drive in the computer. This can also happen if somebody updates the bios on the motherboard. This error will require a shop visit. You can take the computer to any HP Service Center to get this error corrected ie… Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, etc…

Someone else may know a workaround.

James

#9 guitarsrkewl08

guitarsrkewl08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

still need help any one out there no a way to solve this issue please reply i cant afford to send it out to be serviced by hp

#10 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi

If you take it to an HP certified tech, they will run a program on it that resets the tattoo. I don't know how much they charge but like I said, all that they do is look at the serial number and ID and then run their program on it and your recovery disks will work again. If you call around for prices, let us know. I'm curious as to how much they charge for this.

I am not certified by HP so I do not have access to the program.

James

#11 guitarsrkewl08

guitarsrkewl08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

cant afford it was an extra computer laying around just downloaded an iso of home edition off line since i have a product key with the computer already and cant afford shipping and handling fee plus hp's fee

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

cant afford it was an extra computer laying around just downloaded an iso of home edition off line since i have a product key with the computer already and cant afford shipping and handling fee plus hp's fee

i guess it could be an issuse maybe cause by the OEM and Retail difference , the laptop needs an oem version and maybe you downloaded the Retail ISO version .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users