Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Firewall Entry has me worried

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ghot1

ghot1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Normally I use Mozilla Firefox v 11.0 for all my browsing. However, on MS Tuesday I unblock IE8 in Zonealarm (free) to do my Windows Updates. Up till a few days ago, I never noticed that IE8 does not obey my Firewall settings. Since I don't use it except once a month, I had assumed it was being blocked by my Firewall.

Once I realized that IE8 completely ignores my Firewall settings...I uninstalled it and reverted back to IE6 which DOES obey my Firewall settings.

One day later 04/11/2012 I opened Zonalarm as I do occasionally to check if my program settings were as I had set them. When I opened Zonealarm after doing my MS Tuesday Updates, I noticed a new entry:

System stand-alone Optional Component Manager C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysocmgr.exe

I have just run Blacklight Rootkit Eliminator, and it found nothing, none of my other scanning software finds anything either.

I have never in all the years I have been using Windows XP Pro, seen this entry before. Since I firmly believe that Microsoft is slowly but surely, purposely breaking Windows XP to force consumers into upgrading to Windows 7, this is worrisome to me.
I have Googled sysocmgr.exe and found no really helpful info on this file.

To my knowledge, I have never had a virus, trojan or rootkit..I have:

Windows XP Professional SP3 5.1 build 2600 (up to date)
HijackThis v2.0.4
Malwarbytes Anti-Malware v1.50.1100
Spybot Search & Destroy v1.6.2
Roothook Analyzer v3.02
Symantec Corporate Antivirus v10.1.9.9000
Zonealarm (free) version: 9.2.106.000 Driver version: 9.2.035.000
Mozilla Firefox version: 11.0
Glary Utilities v2.2.2.66
CCleaner v1.38.485
JV16 Power Tools v1.3.0.195

...any info on this file: sysocmgr.exe ...and why it shows up in task manager occasionally, would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by ghot1, 13 April 2012 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

I dunno. I did a quick Google search and according to this, you can find it in Add/Remove Programs.

http://myitforum.com/articles/15/view.asp?id=8792

#3 ghot1

ghot1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

naw bro... it's some new MS Hidden BS :.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

Google = About 59,400 results (0.15 seconds)

sysocmgr.exe is a process associated with System Optional Component Manager from Microsoft.
sysocmgr.exe is a system process that is needed for your Windows system to work properly. It should not be removed.
Since sysocmgr.exe is a system process it should not be stopped. The process is required for Windows to work properly

It is a NORMAL part of Windows - I also have it installed -
No spy / No fakes / No hidden agendas / Not hidden / 99.9999% not infection / -

If I was you I would be more concerned with these 2 un-needed Registry "Optimiser / Cleaners"
JV16 Power Tools
Glary Utilities
EDIT -
Your Malwarebytes Anti-malware is way out of date Malwarbytes Anti-Malware v1.50.1100
[At the end of January this year Malwarebytes Anti-malware was upgraded to 1.60.1 and has been upgraded since then - 23 March 2012 - 1.6.1]
Posted 10 November 2010 - 1.50 was first released -

Edited by noknojon, 14 April 2012 - 04:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users