Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 64 sd card glitch HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 special magic

special magic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

my sd cards work fine on my other computers, all of which run windows 7 32 bit

but, over the past few weeks i have had 3 computers, two of which i returned thinking they had defects, but this one does it too

when i first insert the sd card, it reads the drive as active, in this case E drive but NOT the sd card inserted into it

so what i have to do is right click it, click EJECT, i get a pop up saying it is in use and option to cancel, or continue, i click CONTINUE, take the card back out, reinsert it, and it is fine

every time after that i put it back in it is fine

this happens only after the FIRST time i insert it, not ever after

this has NEVER happened on any w7 32 bit pc, only the 64 bit versions

a dell technician even came out and installed a new media reader just to be sure, no difference

this just a w7 64 bit version glitch, or am i missing something?

and yes, i ALWAYS click eject before i remove any media

HERE'S THE THING: IT WORKS FINE IN SAFE MODE, so i disabled all of my security programs, still didn't work right in normal mode

so it HAS to be a Microsoft / windows background program

any advice on which of the windows 7 64 ultimate background programs COULD interfere with reading an sd card??

ALSO, this problem has happened on 3 other computers, i thought were defective

and it works in safe mode

this is so frustrating

Edited by special magic, 13 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi

Do you know what type of filesystem the SD card is formatted with?
Is it NTFS or FAT32 or something else?

I ask because if it were something like FAT32 then you could try formatting one as NTFS and see if that has the same behavior. Then you would know if it is the driver's inability to read the older format without changing something on it first.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users