Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to scan my thumbs and dvds for viruses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Solaron

Solaron

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ok, so I want to virus-scan my thumb drives and DVD's for viruses.

But, what about the danger of a virus in autorun, or some other location, like a hidden partition, getting onto my PC when I insert the media and try to scan it?

I wanted to find the answer on the web without having to ask in a forum, but after a couple of hours of internet research, my mind was twisted. I read about registry hacks to disable autoplay. I read about windows updates making the hacks obsolete. But, the update described (950582) doesn't match the naming convention of updates I can see on my PC (like KB2653956) so I can't verify if I have the update. I read about editing group policy settings. Then I read that I can simply hold down shift when insterting media to disable autoplay (or autorun, I don't even know what it's called now).

Ok, holding down shift sounds like a nice easy solution, ao I want it to be real. I tested it on a thumb that I know is clean and it seemed to stop autoplay/autorun, but it didn't stop everything, because Windows still knew that the thumb had been removed from the last PC without using the "remove safely" command, and suggested I scan the disk. How could it know that without reading from the thumb, and if it read from the thumb could a virus infect my PC even if autoplay is disabled?

In short, what do I have to do to virus-scan and clean DVD's and thumb drives without the risk of infecting my PC?

I have a laptop with Vista, and a netbook with XP-Sp2.

Thanks for helping me, and I'm sorry I couldn't solve this one myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Try Flash Disinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Solaron

Solaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

This program is not working for me. Is it compatible with Vista 64-bit?

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yes, it does work on Vista 64 bit. What happens when you run the tool?
Posted Image

#5 Solaron

Solaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I get a user account control window and I click "allow", the window goes away, then nothing else happens.

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Please run ESET's online scanner (with your drives plugged in, this will take a while)

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • Copy and paste the resulting log in your next reply
If no log is generated that means nothing was found. Please let me know if this happens.

If you think a log should have been generated then go to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\log.txt to find it.

Edited by m0le, 24 April 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Solaron

Solaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Do you mean that you want me to connect the flash drives to the laptop before running ESET? Should I hold down SHIFT when inserting them?

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Do you mean that you want me to connect the flash drives to the laptop before running ESET? Should I hold down SHIFT when inserting them?

Yes, connect them to the laptop and run ESET. You don't need to hold down Shift unless the laptop does not recognise the device being plugged in.
Posted Image

#9 Solaron

Solaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

ESET found no threats.

#10 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

There's your answer then. Any remnant would have been picked up by ESET.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users