Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Explorer in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 killerflea

killerflea

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I have an issue I've never been faced with. Have a coumputer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. There is no internet explorer icon in the start menu or anywhere else. I installed IE9 and rebooted the machine, still no icons. I looked in prorgram files and program files (x86) and each have a folder for internet explorer.....but neither have a exe file. I went into control panel and clicked on programs and features and then turn windows features on and off. IE9 is listed there. I removed the check and applied. It goes through the motions of uninstalling but when it's done it says it could not remove it all. I rebooted but when I went back in IE9 was still listed and checked. I tried to uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller Pro.......but it does not show IE9 as being installed. This is driving me nuts. I made a new user hoping all would be ok for that user but.....NOPE. Firefox installs and runs just fine. Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I removed the check and applied.

After uninstallation,click on VIEW updates option above windows features

Search for Internet explorer 9 update,if you have that,uninstall it and restart the PC

internet explorer should rollback to IE 8

good luck

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I have an issue I've never been faced with. Have a coumputer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. There is no internet explorer icon in the start menu or anywhere else. I installed IE9 and rebooted the machine, still no icons. I looked in prorgram files and program files (x86) and each have a folder for internet explorer.....but neither have a exe file. I went into control panel and clicked on programs and features and then turn windows features on and off. IE9 is listed there. I removed the check and applied. It goes through the motions of uninstalling but when it's done it says it could not remove it all. I rebooted but when I went back in IE9 was still listed and checked. I tried to uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller Pro.......but it does not show IE9 as being installed. This is driving me nuts. I made a new user hoping all would be ok for that user but.....NOPE. Firefox installs and runs just fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like you have the default Windows setup which hides file extensions. That's why you can't see the .exe extension. Follow instructions in this article to unhide file extensions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

But do consider switching to another browser like Firefox because it offers so much more than you'll ever get with IE9. You really don't need IE in Windows 7 anyway because all security updates are now handled by the update feature in Control Panel. You can download Firefox from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/ After you install Firefox, you can customize it to your own liking: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/customize/

#4 killerflea

killerflea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks narenax.........did that......fails to uninstall. Xircil.....I have the computer set to show extentions and system files.

Update: I copied the contense form the internet explorer in program files and (x86) to the affected computer. When clicking on iexplorer.exe the screen flashes but IE does not open. I when into internet options....advanced.....reset internet explorer settings, but the button "reset is not there.

I would just let this go as Firefox works fine.....except the Internet Explorer problem is a sure sign that there may be other issues. Really trying to avoid a wipe and reinstall.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

...fails to uninstall.

can you explain it? what error do you get?

#6 killerflea

killerflea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Just get a message back saying unable to complete the task......I'm away from it right now......will post exact message in an hour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users