Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Lost After Repartitioning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

hi there;

i am running windows server 2003 enterprise edition and after having problems with HDD not loading, i repartitioned the drive from windows xp pro using disk genuis.

however, i selected quick partion and rebuilt the master boot record. this has rendered the os unbootable and i have lost all of my data. i have used some recovery programs and recovered the windows files but no documents or office professional. (all of this happened in seconds, literally)

note: i do not have the operating system or office disks. i would have to download a copy of them to reinstall.

how do i restore the operating system so it is usable?

thanks in advance

stealthassassin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416443&Tpk=whs%202011
Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit @ $52.99 with free shipping.
maybe that would get you going if you don't need a full Server OS.

From the forum rules @ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php
This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted. With you having no discs, that is a possibility.

With no discs I can not see how to help you. Many repairs will require he discs.
Any legal Server OS should have discs same in your case with office as I have never seen trial versions of office on servers.
There are no legal downloads of Windows (generally) with the exception of the ones Microsoft does direct. Even then You would/Should have burned a disc. If you bought that way Microsoft should be able to help you.
1. To install from
2. In case the computer hard drive died.

Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people not - Microsoft Answers -
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423

To sum this up you really need to find the discs and COA (Certificate of Authenticity) And even then what you did to repair has made things harder to fix.

If I'm wrong in my suppositions I apologize.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Goibniu

Goibniu

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I am going to assume that this is just a server that you have had for a while and have either misplaced or lost the media to do a reinstall.

I am not sure that it would bring the system back to a bootable state but the Linux utility "Test Disk" has been able to recover failed repartitoning for me in the past. It can scan the disk to find hidden, lost or deleted partitions assuming that things have not been overwritten. A bootable Ubuntu disk may have it already or it could be easily added to it. If this successfully recovers your partition table but does not get it booting the next step will be to rebuild the MBR.

Edited by Goibniu, 13 April 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

i do not have the disks because the software was installed at my work place: as i no longer work for them i cannot contact them about it.

i have repartitioned the disk and i am trying to recover the data: i dont think the os will be bootable as i dont know if it will restore the registry. i have no intention of downloading illegal versions of the software so dont worry. i currently have an xp disk do i will be using that instead.

unfortunately in trying to restore the data i may have overwritten other data: i was shocked at how quickly the disk was formatted and the system unbootable for the os.

many thanks for the suggestions

stealthassassin

#5 Goibniu

Goibniu

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Reformatting the drive, if it was one of the "quick format" types typically does not damage much of the data (the MBR is another matter). I would still try testdisk as it will either find the old partition map or not, it will not cause any further problems. If testdisk cannot find the partition map you may be stuck with having to get a more advanced data recovery. If the partitions are recovered all the data should be there; office, registry etc.

#6 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

i will give test disk a go and let you know how i get on.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi,
Anytime you mess with the partition table you risk trashing the computer.

If you did need a light server to use at $53 the WHS2011 is cheap enough.

If you want to recover the data alone I would not risk playing with the disk by installing anything else as installing XP will lessen chances of data recovery.

Cheers

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

a server is not essential for what i do now: the office software is though (GBP600 now).

everything went in an instant thats the pain :/

#9 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

also: when an os trial period has finished, what happens? win server 8 and 2008r2 are avaliable as trial and beta.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Do you really use all the Office applications?

You could try using Open Office (free). http://www.openoffice.org/
"OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose."
I Just tried Open Office and it fine. I opened a Excel Spread sheet and a Word Document. No problem changing or saving.

What happens when the trial ends? Depends on what the programmers designed it to do. It could enter reduced functionality mode or it could stop working or anything in-between such as nagging.

Edited by rotor123, 13 April 2012 - 04:46 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

mainly ms access for databases: i have home and student on another pc.

ive tried open office and i could work my databases on it and the student version of office 2010 is discontinued.

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

When the trial period ends on Microsoft products it will no longer allow you to log on. At that point you must reinstall if you wish to continue testing or learning the product. They are only intended to be used to study for students and testing for pre-production setups. Since you use disk genius it also offers the ability to recover lost partitions. If you haven't done or installed anything else you could have a good chance of getting it all back. If it cannot recover the partition then you are probably out of luck with a full recovery. When you re-partition a drive you write over the partition table which basically stores where your files are. The MBT tells the computer where the boot files are located. So basically you erased both of them which yes happens almost instantly using the quick method you described. Test disk might be able to recover the files but will not restore the OS to a bootable state.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#13 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

hi;

ive installed a trial version of windows server 2008 r2 and ms office 2010 pro (trial). i backed up the data so getting the files is not a problem and i wont be able to restore ms office 2003 without the registry. experience is a hard teacher so i can only learn from this.

ive tried recovering the partitions and the data: i got the program files and windows filders back but without the os in a bootable state: there is not much i can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users