Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build your own NAS?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tw-in-texas

tw-in-texas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

I need to build a cheap, but flexible, 4+ terabyte NAS for my home network and have no experience with this. It will mostly serve just to consolidate lots of files (mostly pictures) and make them available to multiple pc's/laptops on the network. I assume I should focus on RAID, disk speed, and NIC speed...but I'm not really a builder/designer, so my ideas stop there. Anyone care to offer advice...or, dare I say, a suggested build list?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

What OS are you planning on using?
Freeware eg Openfiler, Linux Ubuntu, FREENAS

or Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit OEM $53

Case Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower $45
Comes with two 120 mm case fans, Front and Rear, The front fan is essential for cooling your Hard Drives since the 4 hard drives close together will produce a lot of heat

Amd Motherboard ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) AM3 AMD 880G $68

AMD CPU AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz Dual Core $95

Alternate CPU Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition 3GHz Quad Core $90 +Tax

HDD Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $95

RAM Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $42

PSU SeaSonic SS-300ES Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $46

CD/DVD Pioneer CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R $21

Optional
If you want better Network connectivity get a discrete NIC card Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45 $30

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

You can buy a small NAS enclosure that can take up to 4TB worth of storage. Something like the Drobo FS would work. It should use less power than a full desktop.

3939.png

#4 tw-in-texas

tw-in-texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

No preference on OS, just want as much flexibility long term as I can get. I had seen FreeNAS mentioned elsewhere, but didn't know if it was a good and stable solution. Let me know if you have experience with it.

As for the Drobo recommendation...I looked at their products pretty seriously 12-18 months ago, but didn't pull the trigger then. It seems like they have a very flexibly platform, but I'm a little concerned about the "proprietary" nature of the solution (not standard RAID). If you have used their products yourself...let me know more about your experience with it, and their support.

Thanks.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Windows Home server 2011 is a less features Server OS from Microsoft that comes with 10 client access licenses at a reasonable price. Probably their cheapest OS.

I got mine on a Newegg sale along with a small Fujitsu server for $299. I3, 4GB ECC, 250Gb drive, DVDRW. Quiet and cool running.

Popped in a sound card, and I'm running a second drive (SSD) with Windows 7 and the original with WHS2011. Soner or later It'll be moved to its new Home in the basement to serve as network storage. I also put in a BluRay burner so I can back up off of it to 25Gb discs and a 2Tb drive.

A friend also bought one and loaded it with Windows 8 after adding a sound card.

The biggest problem with a inexpensive NAS is they are built for home use and have less features and often so so hardware.

My hope is that since this is true server hardware it'll hold up better than a home computer.

This is the updated version of the one I'm using. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859115020 $299

Whatever you decide, Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

No preference on OS, just want as much flexibility long term as I can get. I had seen FreeNAS mentioned elsewhere, but didn't know if it was a good and stable solution. Let me know if you have experience with it.

As for the Drobo recommendation...I looked at their products pretty seriously 12-18 months ago, but didn't pull the trigger then. It seems like they have a very flexibly platform, but I'm a little concerned about the "proprietary" nature of the solution (not standard RAID). If you have used their products yourself...let me know more about your experience with it, and their support.

Thanks.

I have used FreeNAS in the past and it worked on a Pentium II 233mhz 1.28mbRAM as a backup server, come to think of it I'll install the latest version and try it again. You'll need another software on your client PC's to run the backups, I forget what its called but their webpage http://www.freenas.org/ should have all that info. It wasn't too difficult to set up though

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thanks.

I have used FreeNAS 0.69(FreeNAS 8 is the current version) in the past and it worked on a Pentium II 233mhz 1.28mbRAM as a backup server, come to think of it I'll install the latest version and try it again. You'll need another software on your client PC's to run the backups, I forget what its called but their webpage http://www.freenas.org/ should have all that info. It wasn't too difficult to set up though

It seems The HDD on that machine is kaput so No FReeNAS for me

#8 tw-in-texas

tw-in-texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

So...to wrap this topic up...I went with the DROBO and it seems to be working fine so far. It is definitely "user friendly", although the price with a couple of 2gig drives is almost twice what you could build your own "bare bones" server for. In the end, the "hands off" ability was more important to me than something I can tinker with. I haven't tried streaming anything yet, so can't offer an experience there. It surprises me that the fan never turns off even though the drives do.

My biggest disappointment is that there doesn't seem to be a way to access it from outside my home network. I'm not an advanced network techie, so if someone out there thinks I can make this work...PLEASE send me a note.

Anyway, I'm generally pleased with the solution and appreciate everyone's feedback.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the update.

Maybe this is available for your model of Drobo, It looks like what you want? I didn't look up the price so it may be pricy or it may be reasonable.
http://www.drobo.com/solutions/for-professionals/personal-cloud.php

How to Use Drobo and Pogoplug Software to Create a Personal Cloud

http://www.drobo.com/downloads/how-to/HT-0081-00_pogoplug-personal-cloud.pdf

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 May 2012 - 10:23 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 ChangKnet

ChangKnet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Have you tried a computer using Intel Atom?
Right now I am trying to build a cheap and green nas using an Intel Atom (it does not use any fan, so is very quiet!) in a PC ATX Case so you have space to add as many hard drives you want. Additionally you can buy a RAID controller, depending on what you want. My estimate cost (without the hard drives and RAID controller) is less than $200.
I haven't finished building it yet (still waiting for some components), but I plan to consume less than 13 watts (less than $40 per year in electricity).
If you are interested, visit my blog: http://www.changk.net where I am updating my progress.

-ChangK

Edited by ChangKnet, 10 May 2012 - 01:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users