Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random shut downs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

My desktop has been unexpectedly shutting down as of about 18 hours ago. My desktop is using my TV as a display, and every time it has shutdown the TV was not display the desktop, so I haven't witnessed it shutdown, but I see it turn off(lights turn off, and the fans turn off too).
The desktop is hooked up to a surge protector, as are multiple other devices(including my TV) no change in function has occured to any other device but the desktop.

I've checked to make sure the power cable is properly seated, but outside of opening the case and reseating all the cables, I am not sure what to do.
There is a log in the event viewer from every time this has happened, all events for this issue are the same:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-04-12T22:08:56.938000000Z

EventRecordID 22037

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer one1

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I'm not sure if something is loose, or something is breaking. I have checked the temperatures from the time it shuts down, and the temperatures don't seem to indicate overheating. I'm going to open the case and make sure this isn't just some kind of cable problem. I don't know what to diagnose besides that, and would like some suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

If it's just immediately shutting down without any prompt or error messages, it's most likely an over heating issue. Run a quick HD diagnostic if you can, and if that comes up clean, I would make sure all your fans are in proper working condition especially your CPU fan. Also, you could reapply thermal paste to the CPU and see if that helps.
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

download and run speedfan and monitor the temps constantly, and write down what they were at about the time it shuts down.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

Update:

I have/had speedfan, nothing ever any hotter than 120F, normally high temps are near 100F.
It's only shutdown once since I posted this, and I managed to witness it.
I think it turned out to be a problematic power cable, the cable has about 8 inches from the back of desktop to a surface where it then loops and plugs in to a surge protector at an awkard angle. Either the angle was causing the power cable to not have a proper seat, or at some point the angle created a short...I did some quick diagnosing mostly involving wiggling the cable and watching lights go on/off inside my desktop. Anyway, I replaced the cable and have had no problems. I'll give it another day or two before we call this problem solved, just in case.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

ok, hopefully thats all itwas-hope so, if not we willstil be here :thumbup2:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users