Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with connection problems after a power outtage.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 letterafteri

letterafteri

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure where best to place this as it seemingly falls under many categories. To start I'm using a Dell Inspiron 530S (approx. 5 years old). We have Windows XP Home with service pack 3. We use AT&T DSL (speedstream modem) for our internet service and a Netgear N150 router. The router is strictly for our cellphones. We have another computer in the back of our shop that is wired and rarely used.

Monday the 9th everything worked as normal without problems.
On Tuesday the 10th I came in to work and there was a power outage. A transformer blew on the pole and shut down half our shop including both computers. Everything was on a surge protecter except the speedstream modem. When they got the power up I had not internet for some reason. I rebooted or reset everything, unplugged every wire from every connection including power. I changed phone cables, ethernet cables, disconnected the router, tried the router again. Everything on the computer seemingly worked fine except internet. I had dial tone from the phone jack. I did not have a DSL light on the modem, only the power and ethernet were lit up. I thought the transformer blew the modem.

I went and purchased the Netgear DGN3500 Modem/Router gateway. I installed that and had the same results.
Finally I gave in and plugged the speedstream back in and called AT&T. They said the modem had service and they could see it from their end. They had me ping the computer and modem which produced nothing. He said the computer was not communicating with the modem and I needed to update the driver on my ethernet card. I installed the back up and updated and came up with the same result.

I went home and had many cocktails.

I came back on the 11th. I tried the 2nd computer in the back and the internet did not work there. I checked my computer again and still nothing. I unplugged everything again, rebooted blah blah blah. I brought the computer from the back up front and tried that, nothing. I put the new Netgear DGN3500 back on in place of the speedstream. I was able to get into the router and perform set up. After putting in the DSL name and password it pulled up an AT&T page that something to the effect of "there is a problem with your internet connection" and asked for the name and password. After verifying the correct info the internet started working.
I rejoiced.

An hour later it went down. I unplugged the router for a minute, plugged back in and I was up. It went out an hour after that and unplugging didn't work.

I went home and had more cocktails.

This morning it didn't come up right away so I unplugged the router and it came back up after plugging in. I started researching and tried pinging the router, the computer, google...anything. It times out and will not ping but I am on the internet typing this right now. It has lost connection 2 or 3 times this morning while reading all this.
I updated the firmware on the new gateway, checked properties on the ethernet card (working properly it says), installed microsoft updates that probably had nothing to do with anything, ran a Trend Micro virus scan (clean) and read enough things to confuse me til the end of time.

I searched here and found a myriad of different connection problems. What I'm hoping is that someone can walk me through step by step troubleshooting procedures because reading random things and trying random things only thins my wallet at the booze counter when I go home at night.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users