Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storing TV shows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

When I come across an extraordinary TV show, I save it in a folder called 'TV Specials'. I copied a show from 'Recorded TV' to 'TV Specials' but when I deleted the show using Windows Media Center, both files were deleted. They were both on the same disk. This seems quite odd. Unfortunately, the files can not be recovered using Recuva since they were stored on a 3tb disk drive and recovery programs can't seem to read the MFT. Is there any other way I can retrieve this file before it gets overwritten?

Richard Rein

:angry:

Edited by richierein, 12 April 2012 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi

Is this a 32 bit Windows OS that you are trying to view a 3TB partition from?

Also, what format is the video in? Is its extension .MP4 or something else?

James

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Yes, It's 32 bit. The format is .wtv. That's the format Windows Media Center creates.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi

I've never dealt with accessing a partition over 2.2TB on a Win32 system so I'm not comfortable telling you how to do this in a forum thread. I try not to ask anyone to do anything that I can not replicate myself while advising them :)

If I were with you in person, I would probably (I need to see more about the drivers it uses to access that much space) pull the drive and put it in a Windows 7 64-bit or Linux system and do the usual recovery steps.

Maybe someone else can jump in here with something to try.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 12 April 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

How's this? I have something called "Puppy Linux". The documentation says it can run from a flash drive. It's quite small. I have a CD with the .iso.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi Richard

I see no one else responded so I'll give you some tips. I just want to preface it with the fact that a huge drive like that scares me because I worry about time, heat and stress doing things that are hard on even a smaller drive.

First, if this is an external drive using a special controller chip to make it visible to 32bit Windows then that increases the stress, heat and time it takes to do a recovery.

My preferred option would be to hook the drive up to a Windows 7 64-bit machine and proceed to run Recuva to recover any deleted files.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
since it will let you scan a specific location and make it much shorter and less stressful than scanning the whole partition.

If you are comfortable with Puppy then you can boot to it and install the TestDisk package which includes PhotoRec. Just search the Puppy forums for the TestDisk PET file

For Linux I prefer booting from Parted Magic because it already has the program PhotoRec on it.
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start

These instructions are for Parted Magic
Mount the drive partition that you are going to recover the file to (must be different from the drive you are recovering from or you could overwrite data that you want to recover)
The mount/unmount selection button is second from the left on the bottom of the desktop.

Now in Menu->System Tools you should see PhotoRec

When you run Photorec choose

Select the disk

choose FILEOPT on the bottom of the screen
Press s to disable all file types
scroll down to .wtv and press spacebar to select it
Press enter and choose SEARCH to get back to the partition selection screen

Select the partition

Select OTHER

Select WHOLE

Choose a directory on the disk partition you mounted where it will write recovered files (it will make a folder called recup_dir.1 there and put recovered files in it) and press C to start the search.
Your mounted disks are found in the /media folder. On my recovery machine I usually recover to my C drive which, once I mount it, is in /media/sda1

If it finds it, it will put it in the recup_dir.1 folder in the location that you selected.

Be careful that it does not overheat. Like I said, that is a huge partition. I get a little nervous around 500GB for recovery jobs and yours is 6 times as large as that.

James

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hi James,

Thank you for all the effort you placed in helping me recover this file. Rather than go through all this trouble, I think I'll wait for the program to be re-run and then save it again. In the meanwhile I moved the folder that stores my favorite TV specials to a different drive, thus protecting it from being deleted when I delete it using Windows Media Center. Once again please accept my greatest thanks.

Richard Rein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users