Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A Slave Hd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Well, there were these old computers at my school and our teacher let us strip them. I took a HD out of one and wanted to put it as my slave. There was an illustration on the front that showed were to put these caps to make it a slave. I followed the picture. So I placed the D in my computer and put the molex cord in. But it wouldn't read it. I took the ribbon that was attached to the old HD and took it with me. But do I have to plug that ribbon in. There wasn't any slot big enough for it. So either I can't attach the ribbon to the mother board or I have the wrong mother board for that ribbon. Its not a life or death problem I wound'nt mind a little extra memory. Do I have to set up the HD in setup cause I tried it and if I read it right it said that nothing else was plugged in. Here are my Specs to what I know about.

Compaq AMD Sempron 3400+
512MB RAN
160GB HD
Windows XP Home Editon

This is all I could tell you about the HD from school

"FUJITSU" I dont know the size of it.

RIBBON- EVERTOP E117971 it has 40 holes on the connectors (3 of them)

These computers we stripped were about.....6 yrs old or so I think

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:28 AM

If you have only one drive in your computer you should have an open plug on the primary hard drive's ribbion cable. Plug it in there.
When plugging in the new hard drive make sure the cable plug is inserted correctly. The red line or red dotted line should be closest to the power plug (Molex olug). The socket should be keyed to prevent tne drive being plugged in backward but double check.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users