Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to connect 2 computers without network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iam.sue

iam.sue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

I need to connect 2 computers to each other. Computer 1 is WinXP, Computer 2 is Win7. I do not have a network. Is it possible to use USB? I read that U can use crossover cable, how does this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Not sure about using USB but a crossover cable would work. You connect both PC's with the crossover cable and configure a static ip address on both machines. Have you got a crossover cable?

#3 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

You would need a cat5/rj45 type crossover cable, there is no usb crossover. Iirc there is a way to usb link 2 pc's, think its a windows feature but not noticed it since xp

#4 iam.sue

iam.sue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thanks, I will try it with a crossover cable. I will have the cable in a couple of days. U R correct, it seems it can be done by USB, but takes a special cable. It is a little expensive.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Before buying a crossover cable, check your network adapter on the windows 7 Computer (If you need help checking your adapter please follow this threadand post back the information requested). Some newer network adapters automatically "cross over" when they detect that they are connected directly to another network adapter using a regular Ethernet cable.

Ignore the Brackets ( [ ] ) these are statements I have added or edited from the original document.

To connect two computers with a crossover cable
  • Plug each end of the crossover cable [or standard Ethernet Cable] into a network port on the back of each computer.
  • [On the computer] that is running [Windows 7], do the following:

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.
  • In the network map at the top of Network and Sharing Center, double-click the Unidentified network‍ icon. (If you have more than one network, this icon will be labeled Multiple networks.)
  • If network discovery and file sharing are turned off, in Network, click the Information bar containing the following message: "Network discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change...," and then click Turn on network discovery and file sharing. Posted Image If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • In the Network discovery and file sharing dialog box, select one of the following options:

• [No, make the network that I am connected to a private network]
[This] option is usually the best choice because it only affects the network that you are connected to.Icons for both computers should now be visible in the Network window. Double-click each computer icon to share printers and other resources.

Note
If one of the computers is running Windows XP, it can take some time for that computer to appear in the Network window. You might need to move both computers to the same workgroup. You can do that by changing the workgroup on either computer. To change a workgroup, see Join or create a workgroup. You might also need to turn on file and printer sharing on the computer running Windows XP.

If you are unable to see the computers in the network window adjust the Windows 7 Network and Sharing settings to work with Older OS's Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings (side panel). Make sure Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing are all set to "on" and Password Protected Sharing is set to "off".

Credit
Microsoft
Microsoft Tech Net

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 April 2012 - 08:22 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users