Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem booting-up XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Riv

Riv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'm getting the following error message when trying start Windows XP Professional.
"Following file is missing or corrupt system32\drivers\NTFS.sys"
How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi -
Do you have a Genuine Windows XP Pro CD or can you get one ??

While you are looking, please type or Copy / Paste chkdsk /r in Run Box - This will take about an hour or so to run -

Thank You -

#3 Riv

Riv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

HI noknojon,

I'm actually trying to fix my friend's PC. I'm going to see him on Saturday to look at it. I know it's a Dell.
He said, he tried his XP Pro install disk but, it didn't work. I copied the corrupt file from my PC running XP Home.
I'll see if he has recovery console on his machine and get all the info about his DEll PC on Saturday.
I have a XP Pro CD that someone burned and gave to me years ago, problem is they didn't give me the product key for it and I don't remember who gave it to me so it's useless. I'll let you know how I make out on Saturday.

Thanks,
Riv

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

I was only going to add a sfc /scannow with the Windows CD to repair "Following file is missing or corrupt system32\drivers\NTFS.sys"

This should be found on a Genuine Windows CD - The Dell CD is "most likely" a reinstall CD -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users