Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Camp Assistant (Mac OS X Lion)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheMacNerd

TheMacNerd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hello there.

So, I have a MacBook Pro that, for the record, does support USB booting (via rEFIt.)
I am trying to install Windows 7 via the included Bootcamp Assistant. All goes well, until I get to the partitioning stage. The assistant refuses to partition my drive without a Windows 7 DVD.
Now, I don't have a Windows 7 install DVD. Instead, after some finagling, I have a bootable Windows 7 USB drive. Bootcamp refuses to recognize that this is loaded, it also won't accept just having the ISO image mounted.
How do I go about bypassing the requirement for an install DVD in Bootcamp? I just want to install Windows 7...

Thanks!

--Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acid9burn

acid9burn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

if you just copy the iso into USB it wont load because it should be having bootloader.There is soem diskpart commands that you could use.

1)mount the WIN7 ISO and note the drive letter

2)right click cmd and run as administrator

3)Plug the USB drive in (minimum 4 GB)

4)type DISKPART then enter

4)type LIST DISK enter

5) SELECT DISK 4 (WHERE DISK 4 IS USB)

6) Type CLEAN

7) CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

8) SELECT PARTITION 1 enter

>) Type ACTIVE

9) FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

10) ASSIGN

11) EXIT

12) H: (Where H is the Mounted ISO drive letter)

13) CD BOOT

14) COPY BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 J: (where J is the USB drive letter)

15) EXIT

16) Now copy all contents from the DVD on to the USB

17) restart mac > boot from usb and choose bootcamp from startup

#3 rectangleeye

rectangleeye

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

The boot camp assistant setup guide can be found here http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

This is a quote from the guide
Here are the other options you can choose:
¬ If you want to install Windows from a USB flash drive and you have a Windows 7 ISO
image, select the option to copy the image to a USB flash drive. If this option isnít
available, your computer doesnít support installing Windows from a USB flash drive.

I hope this is helpful to you, best of luck

#4 kanadaguy

kanadaguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hey sorry guys I am new here... However I don't even use bootcamp anymore I simply push and hold the options key at the white screen when first turned on and it will list all the USB and partitions and CD's that are bootable and I choose from there...

Edited by kanadaguy, 23 October 2012 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users