Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel RST reports hard drive offline?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I will give background info on this issue then ask my question. I built my computer out of all new parts except the primary drive and DVD drive. Having placed the HDD into a new setup of mobo and the like, I of course had to reformat it. I successfully installed Win7 and it operate great for a couple of weeks to a month. Then my other issues led me to believe the HDD died. Maybe it did. Anyway, I replaced the drive with another and repeated the software installs. Success, again, leading me to now.

This weekend, when I had time, I plugged in the HDD that I suspected of failing. I hoped it was some sort of failure I didn't understand preventing me from accessing the drive. I powered up my rig and the BIOS screen indicated my SSD, HDD (boot) and my questionable drive. The questionable drive was listed in red lettering, saying "offline". When I booted into Win7, Intel Rapid Storage Tech software gave me an error...one that didn't stop it from working that I can tell, but just a warning error.

Once I opened Intel RST, I see the Primary HDD with the SSD accelerating it. The status reports, "Disk on Port 4:'offline'."
Manage Disk tells me:
Port: 4
etc.

I really want to recover this drive because all of my music is on here.

Are there any clues to solving why I can't access this drive? Could it be a jumper issue? Also, what does "Clear and Reset Disk" mean?
Thanks a ton everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hi

It sounds like it thinks you want to use it as part of a RAID array. I don't have any Intel RST machines on my bench right now but I think that's it.

Was the disk part of a RAID drive before? Doesn't sound like it was from your description but the error would make more sense if that were the case.

Maybe someone else knows more details.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 11 April 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Thank you for your reply. To the best of my knowledge, the old drive wasn't part of a RAID array. I did use that drive alone in my new computer when I first built it (if this is any indication). I sort of wondered this when I woke up this morning: could it be that I didn't properly seat the power cable, and that only the SATA cable is connected properly? Could this situation produce a drive state where the BIOS can see the drive and information about it, but not power it enough to access it?
Thanks,
Matt

#4 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

Has anyone else had the chance to mull this issue over in their minds to come up with a plausible solution? I'm still in the dark.
~Thanks

#5 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

-BUMP-

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

I see no one else has jumped on this :)

It is a scary one because I can't be sure that a clear and reset won't destroy the data or if it really was part of a RAID array before maybe only partial data is on the drive.

Here are some things that I can suggest you try.

Is the drive plugged into a RAID socket on the motherboard (the BIOS expects whatever is plugged into that one to be part of a RAID array)? Can you try a different socket?

Can you connect the drive to another machine?
If you can get it in a machine where the BIOS recognizes the drive as ONLINE instead of OFFLINE then maybe you'll see the data on it.

You could try booting into Linux and see if the disk is visible but since your BIOS doesn't seem to like the drive I'm not sure that will work.
I use Parted Magic a lot lately (there are several that I switch between so let me know if this one does not suit you).
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start
Burn a CD with it and boot from the CD
Click the mounting tool which is the second icon from the left on the bottom of the desktop.
See if you can mount the drive and then open the File Manager on the desktop
Go to /media folder in root and see if the drive you mounted is there.
If it is you should be able to navigate it and copy the data to other drives (once they are mounted also).

Let me know if you need more details about anything.
James

#7 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I don't know how to determine whether the Sata2 port I plugged this drive into is designed solely for RAID or not. To the best of my remembering, this drive was not a RAID drive ever. The original computer it came from had 2 identical drives (500GB) that were advertised as being RAID0 (I think so they'd act like a 1TB drive??). This was never actually the case. In Windows Explorer, I'd see 2 distinct hard disks. I could independently store data to both drives at my discretion. I moved the drive into my new computer and used it as the primary drive (I reformatted, reinstalled Win7, etc). This should have eliminated any essence of RAID configuration, no?

Reminder: Now I'm trying to access the seemingly dead/unresponsive drive to save my 100's of GB of music and video and personal files.

What does IRST meant by "Clear and reset disk" by clearing incompatible data? Does this mean erasing and starting from scratch? I'm leery of it.

Thanks very much so far NeverSayDie

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

What makes it real tricky is that I am not just concerned about the effects that "Clear and reset disk" will have on the disk you want to recover. I can't be sure that doing that would not also affect other disks in the machine making them suddenly appear offline too. I'm still relatively new to helping people through forums :)

The suggestions I made about trying it in another machine or from a Linux boot CD are the only relatively safe things that I can recommend until I get another machine with Intel Rapid Storage Technology in my lab.

James

#9 Quist

Quist

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hi cbjfan2009,
did you have any succes restoring you files?
The reason to your problem is probably that the disk was accelerated with the SSD disk (actually a form of RAID) and that you removed it from the system without canceling the acceleration. When you now connects it again it expects to be part of a SSD array.
I have done exactly the same thing myself and is looking for a way to restore the files on the old HDD drive. Have you dared to press the "Clear and reset"? If so, what happened? I have read Intels help on the subject and they say that the "Clear and reset" resets meta data and returns the drives status to normal. I'm unsure if this means "removes all data" or not.

The Linux boot CD is a good suggestion worth trying.

Regards!

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hi Quist

Keep us posted on any progress that you make with this. I am very curious and could use the info to help others.

Thanks
James

#11 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hi Quist - You know what's funny? I've come to a point where I don't know what I did with this drive that's inoperable.

The only question I have to anyone out there, prior to clicking "reset" is this: How do I know this will only affect the intended drive?? I'm so scared to butcher another Windows install and lose all my wedding planning and finance stuff, Photoshop, games, movies, music, etc. I practically get a cold sweat thinking about it.
Any ideas?

#12 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

I wanted to add an update to this post. I've experienced a related issue with my computer, chronicled here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic427721.html/page__st__15

It turns out that my computer crashed again. I started pulling out wiring like I was a cracked-out monkey and plugging stuff back in to eliminate some wire tangles. I booted up unsuccessfully a few times, then low and behold: I booted into Windows 7 off my "dead" HDD. Now, the original hard drive that I was about to "Clear and Reset" is working perfectly (for the time being). This is crazy stuff. I'm not sure why the computer hates me. I've pulled out my video card, which several posters suggested could be causing the issues on the other forum thread, but I still cannot figure out how the video card could cause my motherboard to stop recognizing the presence of a HDD with WIN7 installed?

#13 Quist

Quist

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi again.
I have now restored the files from my old HDD!
I tried the Linux Boot idea by installing Ubuntu on an USB-pin and booting from it.
When in Ubuntu I could see and access the whole filestructure on the "corrupt" HDD. I copied all files of interest to my new HDD (which is now accelerated by Intel SRT just as my old disk was) and verified in Ubuntu that the files now resided on my new disk. When booted back in Windows again I got surprized when I couldn't find the files on the disk. I tried the same Ubuntu procedure a few times until I relized that I had to cancel the acceleretion before going into the Ubuntu Copying. After that Windows could read the copies. Now the acceleration is back on and I have access to all my files.
Just out of curiosity I had planed to try the "Clear and Reset" from Intel Rapid Storage but I have decided to wait with that until I'm absolutely sure that I don't need any more files from the old HDD.
Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users