Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Klite Codec Pac

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi There!

I'm building the summer images for the college I work for. There was an issue in one of our labs with inserting a video into power point and klite fixed the issue. Before I go and install Klite all wily-nily on all our labs I just thought I'd ask you guys if anyone ever had any problems with it.

Personally, I use it on all computers I build for myself and friends, but I just wanted to ask around to make sure before I slapped that into the image.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

I wouldn't put it in. Since you know what klite part did the trick, only use that and download it direct and not as part of a Codec pack.

They have been know to cause problems in the past.

If I need a codec for something then I install the individual codec rather than loading all kinds of un-needed stuff.

I would probably make two images too. One without and one with if you really feel you need it.
Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

That's exactly what I ended up doing :D Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Late to the party :), but I've used Klite on every Windows install that required codecs, with no problems ever after installing same.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Louis, Better late than never.

I can't remember the last codec I installed.

VLC for example doesn't need them.
Freemake Video converter doesn't need them .

The TMPGenc Programs I use have the ones I need built-in, for example HD captures to BluRay or DVD Conversion and Authoring.

From here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/K-Lite-Codec-Pack

Warning! If you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer

So I just play safe since I have a range of paid for conversion and authoring programs on the computer.

Not my day. I just had a DVD Burner go bad. I was burning a Linux ISO with imgburn and it ejected it and relaoded it to do the verify pass and that was all she wrote.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 April 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

I remember reading that klite used to overwrite other codecs on the PC.
But that was a long time ago, so maybe the new version of klite is better.
I haven't seen any complaints lately.

But, For that reason, I only install the codecs that I need. :)
Old habits die hard, I guess. :)

Sorry about the drive. my Sony DVD burner is making clicking noises. Not good.
And I lost another standalone VHS to DVD burner. :(

Edited by 12x48y, 29 April 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

That is the reason I always avoided Codec Packs too. Along with recommendations from Videohelp.com to only install what I needed.
OTOH Louis reports no problems so................

Sounds like a bad time for your drives too. At least mine should be under warranty. I'm just not sure if it pays to pay the shipping for the warranty when I can get a replacement for approx. $15. Or Just use the LiteOn BluRay burner for my burning needs and ignore the dead drive.

However on the VHS to DVD did you try cleaning it? By that I mean the Laser and the part that disc sits on when the door is closed (Spindle).

The Theory as I understand it is that the rubber that keeps the disc from slipping can get a build up of grease and dust and that can cause problems with the disc speed stability, especially when finalizing the disc.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 April 2012 - 08:15 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking that if ItGeekgirl is installing klite on new PC's that she built, she would probably be OK doing so. I think it's when you have other programs that use their own codecs, it (might) cause an issue.

not sure if it pays to pay the shipping for the warranty

I didn't have any luck sending an HP Lightscribe DVD burner back for repairs. It quit on me about a month before the warranty ran out. I mailed it back to HP for repair, paid the $10 shipping. But when I received it back in the mail, it still didn't work. Maybe you will have better luck. :)

In all fairness, I had burned quite a lot of DVD's with it in that short time.

As for the VHS to DVD burner, (Magnavox )
No power, No lights, no response at all. Can't open the DVD tray. I opened it up to see if it was a blown fuse,
but that wasn't it. I suspect the power supply. It's the same for all my standalone DVD burners.

I'm accumulating quite a graveyard of DVD burners. LOL :)

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

HI,I was rooting around the forums looking for a what is a decoder,but having one hell of a time finding
anything that works,downloaded WMP 11 and tried to play DVD that i have called DOO WOP and i get the message
that i need a compatible codec that is not installed and this on a player i just installed today.
Is there any codecs that i can install i thought i had one with WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER from NERO,BUT
THAT does not seem to be,like to get a free one if possible,tried a few sites but you almost have to
sale your soul to them to get it.
The one i pulled out said spindle was bad,by the i also have a MAGNAVOX VHS TO DVD recorder that i
had to have cleaned twice,finally i built a tent over it as i live next to chip mill have not had
fix it for 2yrs now,thanks for help you can give me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users