Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon Laser Class 730i driver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm waiting on tech support from Canon on this. Our company has some Canon Laser Class 730i all-in-one devices. We're in the process of replacing the user's computers with units that have Windows 7, 64 bit edition. I'm searching for the printer driver for this OS. Canon's web site is of little help. Can anyone provide some information please? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

According to MS Compatability Center Link: Canon LaserClass 730i All-in-One Printer: Compatibility status Be Sure to click the right 32/64 bit tab.

This product installs automatically without extra software.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

MS is wrong!! I'm using the same driver that was used for Win XP Pro and I receive the following message upon install:
<This CD-rom is designed for use with Windows 95/98/ME or Windows NT4.0/2000/XP<

At that point the installation aborts. The device may be compatible, but it needs a Win 7, 64 bit driver. We tried
manually installing the device and pointing to this driver and received the same message.

Canon's answer: Get the correct driver from the vendor where you purchased the device, namely Ricoh/IKON.
IKON's answer: Since the device is not under maintenance, you need to pay for a service call, so a tech can
try and locate the proper driver. Not an option, since we are a NY State agency and have a limited budget.

Thanks for your reply!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

What happens if you let Windows detect the hardware? Thats how I read the compatibility chart. Don't use the CD, let Windows detect the hardware and install their generic Windows 7 drivers for that hardware.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

This device in on a network, not locally attached to the PC, so Windows will not try to locate it. Windows 7 does not have this model listed in the add printer wizard either. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#6 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Animal, I tried your link to the Microsoft Compatibility site, which does indeed list this device as being Windows 7, 64 bit compatible. When it states that "this product installs automatically", is it safe to assume they are referring to a local device? I'm not sure if this Laser Class has the interface for a local connection. I can't test it because the PC is located in one building (for configuration purposes) and the printer is in another. When I get them both in the same location, I can try a local connection and installation. Thanks!

#7 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

To all whom offered assistance! I've found the "fix". I again tried to install the Canon Laser Class manually, but this time selected to try and discover the network printers. We usually install our network printers locally, as if they were attached to LPT1 and then add the network port for the devices static IP address.

Network discovery did not find the device, but allowed me to run Windows Update. This update added the LC700 series of devices to the printer list and thus allowed me to finally install this device. All is well in Canon Laser Class land. Thanks!

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for letting us know how you solved your issue. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users