Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting NetBSD on iBook G3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xan003

xan003

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

This may be a hardware problem but I don't want to rule out anything else until I know.

I have an iBook G3. I originally had OS 9.2.2 installed but now I've been using panther. I just installed and burned the macppc.iso from the netBSD website but I can't get my iBook to boot. I tried holding C and pressing the option key but the CD drive never comes up. When OS X starts up though the CD shows mounted on my desktop.

Also the only way to get the system to start up OS X is by selecting the hard drive via holding the option key at start up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

How did you burn it? If you burned it as data, it won't boot. You can tell by opening the CD drive on the desktop. If you see the file with .iso on the end. you burned it as data. It needs to be burned as an image. (As to how that's done, I'd have to go look on the Wife's Mac. Howebver, she uses OS X, not OS 9.)

#3 xan003

xan003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

thanks for the reply. I burned it using the disk utility. I burned the image to a cd r.

I also have tried using the cmd opt o f to reset the open firm ware . I'm thinking this may be a misplaced thread

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

I'm not sure how the disk utility works on OS 9. You can look to see what it did, though. Put the media in the drive and when it mounts, see what's on it. If you see the *.iso, it won't work no matter what you do.

If that's what you see, you might try installing linux instead. (I've installed linux on both G3 and G4 towers, but I've never tried on any other machine from Apple. And those were always burned on existing linux machines.) If you still want *BSD after that, at least linux will burn the media for you properly and you can reboot with that and do what you want. The problem is, I'm not sure how you would get linux to burn either. (Something might be arranged if you contacted my privately.)

If that isn't what you're seeing, I have no idea.

I had trouble getting *BSD (a couple of different kinds) to boot on x86 machines. No matter how I burned them they failed at boot. They also failed the MD5SUM check when I bothered to try that. I've had successful boots a couple of times (then had other failures during install). But those were rarer than the bad ones.

#5 xan003

xan003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

it burned correctly. I think it's the hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users