Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Virus Removal Tool for download from Sophos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

This might be helpful, I'll have to test it out.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/11/free-virus-removal-tool-for-download-from-sophos/?utm_source=Naked+Security+-+Sophos+List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8d31ffd9cd-naked%252Bsecurity

Well, Sophos has just released its Virus Removal Tool. Designed to be child's play to use, it detects and, more importantly, disinfects all those nasty viruses, spyware, rootkits and even fake anti-virus with its flagship industrial-strength anti-virus.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Well, Sophos has just released its Virus Removal Tool. Designed to be child's play to use, it detects and, more importantly, disinfects all those nasty viruses, spyware, rootkits and even fake anti-virus with its flagship industrial-strength anti-virus.

"All", Really........ Finally a universal one size fit's all "god" tool that will replace every tool used at BC now and in the future! :thumbsup:

Sorry, just making a little good nature cynical comment. I do hope that it is a new tool in the "good guy" arsenal but doubt it will really get everything.
In my previous more naive days I remember actually believing the McAfee statement " Is your computer protected? Yes! that use to show in an earlier McAfee security center.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

rotor123, please let us know if you do take this thing for a test run and thanks for the link and the info.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Well I did run it but not on a infected system (Yet)

It found one infected file. One of the tools is used here.

I'm waiting for a infected system to come my way so I can run it first and then follow with the eset online scanner and Malwarebytes to see what it missed.

The most important tool against infection is a active Antivirus. Many systems I've seen with Viruses also had expired Antivirus.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

There are lots of these tools around. Here's a couple more for you:

Dr Web CureIt
Microsoft Security Scanner
McAfee Stinger

0 user(s) are reading this topic