Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband Speed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mintizmate

mintizmate

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi, I am having download speed fluctuations which I belive to be the fault of my modem/router, as it getting a bit long in the tooth, but I just need someone else's opinion, as I am not all the tech minded when it comes to this kind of stuff. In a nutshell the signal coming into the router is a constant(or has been on recent tests) 15.02Mbs, but by the time it gets down to the other end of the ethernet cable and into the computer the signal drops to 0.33Mbs(Worst) to 13.77Mbs(Best) and a load of other ups and downs in between. The Upload speed has been more or less constant at around 0.80Mbs. I have talked to my Internet Provider and they have run line tests etc., all of which have p[roved to be inconclusive. Any (Non technical please) responses would be useful
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JustGoThere

JustGoThere

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

just some thoughts here... have you replaced the cables? checked the connectors? looked for kinks in the cable? is the cable running in an office, like "over" flouresent lights?

Could be the NIC on the computer... could be damaged ethernet cable... sounds like a hardware or connector or cable issue to me.... do the cables run alongside any other cables (elec, AC, etc) in the room???

just need some more info...

JGT

#3 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I have checked the connectors and cable (As far as I can), and all seems OK. There are no 'kinks' in the cable. I have changed the micro-filters on my line but to no effect. Prior to my contacting my ISP I was running the system wirelessly, but was advised to use the ethernet cable, if possible, as the connections would be more stable and at a higher rate. This has not happened, and following a further conversation with my ISPs advisor it was suggested that I try another router (Just the thing that most people have sitting on their shelves - not), which prompted my initial question that if the 'upstream' input into the router is steady and stable but the 'downstream' output is all over the place is it reasonable to suspect that the router is the culprit.
There is no tube lighting as the computer is being used in a domestic environment.

Regards

#4 JustGoThere

JustGoThere

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Can you "borrow" a router from a friend to test? Without proper testing equipment you're sort of forced into a trial-and-error type of situation...
or... can you bring your router to a friends and hook it up there??? ...or a least hook up your computer at the their router to see if you can reproduce the issue...

if you can hook up your computer at their location, and you have no problem, you can at least remove that aspect of the problem (NIC / computer)... then you're left with cables and the router as the suspects.. there's just too many variables going on at the moment and it needs to be narrowed down...

you need to start removing / replacing small parts of the network one at a time to localize the problem component... you'll find the problem....

JGT

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Who is your internet provider?

Is your modem/router a combo unit or do you have separate modem and router?

#6 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi,
My ISP is Talk Talk and I have had a very long (2 hour) conversation with the yesterday, and following more line testing it is beginning to look more like a router problem. The unit is waht I believ is called a modem/router in that it is connected to a normal BT line not a cable connection.
With regard to borrowing a router I am still working on that thread but at the moment it is proving difficult to pursuade anyone to let me either use theuir box or plug mine into their computer. Hope to get there soon though.
Thanks for your responses

Regards

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

following a further conversation with my ISPs advisor it was suggested that I try another router

And the probem still exist? It would be better to ask them to replace the ISP modem/router. If the router has a wireless capability, check also the difference. You may want to ask if your provider has a monthly capped for downloading over the net. Have you tried resetting the device to factory default? Do you share the network with other computers? Might wanna check also MAC address filtering or cloning feature to disable if the router has one of these settings.

Tekken

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

If you do have a combination modem/router unit (also known as a gateway) consider getting separate modem and router.

Several months ago I asked a connection expert at another forum about gateway units. This is his response:

Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of them. Also the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features. One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path.

With a combo device the issue could be with the modem portion OR the router portion and it can difficult to pinpoint which one is causing problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users