Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Force Globally "Sort by file type" Setting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Yes, I've tried several things on-line listed elsewhere but, everyone else has no idea what they are talking about.

Essentially there are folder types. I don't care about changing the types or whatever, I'd actually rather keep them.

I just want Windows 7 to force the option to sort by file type in ANY folder, no matter what type.

It's a pain because when I right-click to sort the files, it is not even in the list and I have to click more and add it to the list, and once I click more, there's about 10 billion useless organization options and I have to dig way down to find the "file type" (which seems like the most important/useful to me).

It is kind of ridiculous really...
Kyle Sardonicus Amadeus Stanfield
Writer, Philosopher, Composer/Musician, Artist
Comprehensive Psychology Major, Troy University
www.impetus-aesthetica.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Windows7 Ideas These may be helpful

Could be one you have attempted, but I do not know -

#3 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Sorry, none of that helps.

I want ALL the files, like every single folder and every single everything everywhere to have the option automatically to choose to sort by file type.

It's almost never in the options, then I have to click more, then scroll way down to the bottom for like 3 days to get to it, then when I select it, it doesn't actually sort them by type, just adds it to the list, then I have to right click again and select to sort by type.

Then again, not everything is in a library, and I also hate the library and group views.

Even then, I'd have to manually go add every folder (2.5 gigs of data spread across 3 HDDs) to the libraries when they aren't in them.
Kyle Sardonicus Amadeus Stanfield
Writer, Philosopher, Composer/Musician, Artist
Comprehensive Psychology Major, Troy University
www.impetus-aesthetica.com

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Sorry -

I don't have that for you - The amount of data you mention is a job for a Pro to diagnose, and add 20 folders to your desktop -

Wait and see if the upper brains have something - I will ask around -

#5 jpm1999

jpm1999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

If you find a way to do this, please pass it on to me.  I've been trying everything!

And yes, I want all of my files, everywhere to be sorted by type.  I recognize I can do each file individually but sometimes they revert back to name sort.  Very frustrating.  There are also many, many files to do this for so a global 'type' sort is most wanted.

Jo

Edited by jpm1999, 23 July 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,301 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'm not understanding...do you mean ALL files, including system files, program files, data files?

I am failing to see just what this would accomplish, other than create havoc for Windows and programs installed...which all expect to find a given file in a preconfigured given location.

Data files...I do this type of sorting with my data files but I use partitions and folders to group them (e.g., Music, Graphics, Backups, etc.).

Louis

#7 jpm1999

jpm1999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I mean data files with mixed media in particular but I don't mind if the others are sorted by type as well.

I have all my folders already grouped by topic.  Within each topic are other folders grouped by subject and within those - subsets of subjects, etc much like a file cabinet.  Within each folder there are combinations media:  videos, documents (different types), other folders, pictures, etc. pertaining to that folder much like a file cabinet.  When I open any one of these folders, I want the mixed media in it to be sorted by type.  

For example:  In one folder, the 'type' sort places the additional file folders on top, followed by Adobe Acrobat Documents, Executable jar files, jpeg pictures, flv, MS Office Powerpoint 97, MS Office Powerpoint presentations, MS Office Word 97 documents, MS Office Word docs, mp4 videos, PNG pics, XLS file.    

I can choose the sort option to sort the information in each file by type (with results as described in the example given) but I want to do it globally rather than every time I open a folder.  It gets quite tedious to do this for each folder with so much information (Terrabytes already grouped and partitioned) into the order I need to work with it.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users