Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WPA2 secured network my lappy running XP SP3 sometimes shows pop up baloon unsecured?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi there

I have a secured WPA2 enabled network my modem/router is TP-Linlk TD-W8960N. I have my PC Window 7 hard wired connected (ethernet cable) & my laptop XP SP3 connected via wireless. I have recently noticed that on my lappy when I log into to my secured network and put in security key (that is very very strong password) I sometimes for a moment on lappy get a baloon pop-up saying unsecured (yet under network search for area it shows my network and its WPA2 ebnabled)? I have read doing a little bit of google research before posting for help it can be a bit of an XP thing and basically dont worry about it's all good.

I just want to make sure my network is safe & no one is on it other thasn myself or my family. I dont want my bandwith and stolen or my privacy and connection comprimised.

How can I tell its all safe and no-one apart from me or my family is using my network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have recently noticed that on my lappy when I log into to my secured network and put in security key (that is very very strong password) ...

Is there a reason why don't you let Windows remember your network SSID & pre-shared key?

How can I tell its all safe and no-one apart from me or my family is using my network?

Review your router logs. I don't know about the particulars of your router, but routers can log many events. For example, your router could be logging DHCP events (or maybe you can configure that) which can tell you which devices use your router.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 11 April 2012 - 09:46 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Is there a reason why don't you let Windows remember your network SSID & pre-shared key?

Sorry I should have typed it that it prefills my security key its just on occassion when I use the laptop running XP SP3 I get this balloon that often says unsecured yet when I scan networks in range mine there and says its WPA2 enabled and I know it requires a security key. Is this likkey just a silly little thing that maybe XP does but it is infact secure? (eg discregard the pop up baloon on occassion saying unsecured)

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

So this balloon pops up from the network icon in the system tray?

And does it pop up before or after you connect to your wireless network?

A possible scenario for what you are witnessing is the following:
Your Windows XP laptop has a saved wireless network which is not encrypted and is in your neighborhood, and when you boot your laptop, it connects automatically to this wireless network. And you get a pop up. And then you connect manually to your encrypted network.
You can check for saved networks by looking in the properties/wireless tab of your wireless adapter.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Thanks Didier Stevens

It appears to happen after I connect to wirless network. It is definatley a secured WPA2 enabled network when you do a search of all wirless networks (I think there called SSID's) in range.

I suppose my laptop could have a saved wirless network that is not encrypted. But I'm not 100% but I'm fairly sure the pop up balloon appears in lower right side bottom of screen near the time & were you have a few other incons such as your anti virus incon etc.

I have read that this particular issue might just be a thing related to XP eg its secured but XP sort does something silly saying unsecured maybe? This is what I found from a google search. Probally explains it a little better. I would love to here some feedback from yourself or any one cluey in this area.

Thanks in advance

Below in bold is what I found in bold from my google search & someone reply to the poster question.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1071442

Lately I have read lots of threads regarding wireless security and I think I have become a little paranoid. I have changed my router password to something more complex and use WPA2-PSK (14 digits, a mixture of alpha/numeric) with TKIP encryption. My lappy tells me that my connection is "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA2)" but from time-to-time a baloon message from the wireless connection icon says in part "Connected to: bla bla bla(unsecured)". That's got me beat. Is this normal? (THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME)

This is a Windows problem, not actually a problem with your router.

From time to time Windows drops the wireless connection for a split second or so, and when it reconnects the balloon pops up and it shows as unsecured.

Don't worry about it – there's nothing wrong with your router, and your network is still secured.

It's mainly XP that seems to have this issue. So if you are really worried, you can upgrade to Mac OS X, or Vista :)

Just ignore it, as above – it's not really affecting anything.

(another one basically the same not fully answered other than suggesting maybe a bug)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14086394?hilite=unsecured

Edited by scottietwenty3, 13 April 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I have read that this particular issue might just be a thing related to XP eg its secured but XP sort does something silly saying unsecured maybe?

I can't confirm this, I've never experienced this when I used Windows XP laptops. Now I use Windows 7.

Next time you get the ballon, try to click on it. Sometimes clicking on a balloon gives you more information.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#7 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I have read that this particular issue might just be a thing related to XP eg its secured but XP sort does something silly saying unsecured maybe?

I can't confirm this, I've never experienced this when I used Windows XP laptops. Now I use Windows 7.

Next time you get the ballon, try to click on it. Sometimes clicking on a balloon gives you more information.

Will do I'm running Windows 7 on my primary computer and the laptop is used as a back up the family member that used it the most is not too net savvy and when says a baloon saying unsecured panics (and I must say I'm a little unsure myself). Thanks for you replys I will click on balloon next time and report back with my findings.

#8 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Update clicked on balloon tried both left & right click nothing came up. :(

#9 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Anyone else experienced this balloon saying unsecured on an XP machine all thought its a secured WPA2 enabled network?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users