Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD gone after factory restore of Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cheesha

cheesha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

HP Pavilion DV 6000. After a factory restore of Vista, the DVD player no longer shows up in "MY COMPUTER"

I have replaced the drive. I have used CD Gone. I have gone to registry and looked to see if upper filters or lower filters were there <they weren't> so I couldn't delete that.

My research indicates that it has been a problem in Vista operating systems. I am out of options.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

How about in disk management, device manager and or BIOS settings?

Edited by jhayz, 11 April 2012 - 09:05 AM.

Tekken

#3 cheesha

cheesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

does not show up in device manager
says it is enabled in bios
don't see it listed in disk management

#4 cheesha

cheesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

In addition, I have also gone to Microsoft site and download the "fix it" tool. It says it can't find the drive.

Since it worked before the reinstall and since I've even tried a new DVD drive, I am now stumped.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

When searching online for the particular model and problem, it resulted in a number of hits which pointed out either an upgrade from XP to Vista or Vista to Win 7. The link here from HP support forum as posted by triplen which may be similar to yours might work for you.

Edited by jhayz, 14 April 2012 - 02:47 AM.

Tekken

#6 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I have a solution for you

1. Make backups of your files to an external drive.
2. Restart your machine and hit the F8 Key repeatedly until you see the advanced boot option screen.
3. Chose repair your computer --> Then Choose your country and click ok.
4. On the "System Recovery Options screen" click "Restore Application" which is the last option
5. Follow the on-screen instructions -- >> When prompted, click on "Full Factory RecoverY" -->>> Click Next
X. Click yes.

Tell me if this works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users