Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Restarts Itself

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TurboMuncher

TurboMuncher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

Hi

Please bear with me - I'm not an IT professional but have a half-decent knowledge of how to work my way around most problems I've come across in the past.

I have a problem with my sister's laptop and I believe it may have a virus - although I can't be absoutely certain.

The problem is that windows automatically logs off and restarts the machine whenever I try to do the following:
Open msconfig from the Start Menu
Download anything from the internet (attempting to download the installer for AVG Free)
Open any other .exe files

The problem arose when her Licence for AVG expired and she wanted to just install the free version. She un-installed the existing version entirely (could this have opened up a window of opportunity to get infected?) and then asked me to do the rest!
Unfortunately, whilst the system boots up and lets me access the browser (this happens with both IE and FireFox) it logs off and restarts the laptop when I attempt to download the installation file. I tried copying the file from a mem stick from my own laptop but when I try to open it, it simply restarts the machine again.
I was hoping I could install the software, run a full scan and, if there is indeed a virus, have the thing removed.

Has anybody heard of this before and is it linked to a virus?
Does anybody know how I can sort the issue without having to pay for various pieces of software or doing a complete system overhaul?

HELP!!!!! :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users