Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry File Failure - Can't restart computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysta

Chrysta

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hi. So first I wanted to say that I am no expert, but I think I have had more than my fair share of problems with my computer. Not just problems from getting a virus, but crazy system issues that I have no idea how they happen or really how to fix them.

I have an Inspiron 1545, Vista service pack 2, 32 bit.

Anyway, I was showing some of my favorites to my sister and I had a whole bunch of tabs open and Internet explorer wasn't loading the pages right, this has happened before and I just restart and it works again. I figured if I manually restarted the computer, IE would say my session was interrupted and when I opened it again it would open all my tabs without my having to go and find them and open them myself. I know you are not technically supposed to manually power down when you can actually go and hit restart in the menu, but I did anyway.... well apparently, it was a big mistake.

Now, my computer will not restart correctly. It gives me the option of restarting normally, but when I hit that, it briefly shows the green status bar and then goes black and sits there, then goes into system repair. Then the other option is going into system repair. It says 'searching for problems' and 'this may take a few minutes' and it just scans and scans, I let it go for a bit over a half hour (then later, I let it sit longer) and it did nothing. I assume it won't do anything if it doesn't do anything in the first ten minutes. Then I hit cancel and the status on the scan freezes and I manually restart and the same things happen. I then hit F8 and tried to go into safe mode and it loads part of the system requirements and then just sits there, again I didn't let it sit long because I figure it won't work anyway. I couldn't get into safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt.

I went to the the system restore center and tried again to do the system repair and the same thing happens.. nothing. I then tried to to use a restore point, and for some reason only one point is listed even though I just made one a couple months ago. Anyway, it says that since I am in a limited system state it can't perform properly, I would do it in a higher state, but I can't get to one. It also gives me the error of Registry File Failure and then code (0x8007045D).

I also tried to run the Pre Boot Assesment and it gave me this error - hard drive 0 (2000-0146), I ran it again and it gave me lots of Block errors that I can type out if needed.

I've read a little about how to try and fix this online. I think maybe if I can boot into safe mode with command prompt I can run diskcheck and maybe it will fix what is wrong, but I can't get in to that. I also read something about booting to the Vista disk, but I don't really know what that entails.

If I boot to the Vista disk do I run system repair or system restore? Will it reinstall the OS and then I lose all my files?

My main fear is that I will lose my stuff. I backed up a couple months ago, but I take a lot of pictures and I don't have the last couple of months worth saved and they are very important to me. I scared to lose them. I don't know if this is something I can fix, or if I should try a friend, or just take my computer in somewhere.

I'm hoping no one will suggest it's a hard drive issue and suggest getting a new one, because awhile ago I had some odd issue and I couldn't fix it, and under warranty I got the hard drive replaced and it did not fix the issue, and I am not under warranty any more.

So, can someone please help me? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Anyone?

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hello Chrysta,

I also tried to run the Pre Boot Assesment and it gave me this error - hard drive 0 (2000-0146), I ran it again and it gave me lots of Block errors that I can type out if needed.

It's not looking good for the hard drive.

"ERROR CODE 2000-0146" - See Dell Error Codes. Arrow down to your error. If you follow the "Link to Fix," they basically say to unplug the hard drive and then plug it back in. Re-run the hard drive diagnostic test. If it fails again there's a good chance it's the hard drive.

A word of caution. If you run chkdsk /r on a mecanically failing hard drive, you could make things worse.

The first order of business would be to attempt data recovery. Depending on the condition of the hard drive, these options may or may not work.
  • Option 1 - Remove the drive from the laptop and attach it to a desktop computer using an adapter like this .
    OR
  • Option 2 - Create and run an alternative operating system CD. Any of the Linux "Live CD" Distros would work. If you would like specifics, I can post a How-to

Regards,
Brooks

#4 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Thank you very much for your reply, but I think this is too complicated for me, and I am going to hand my computer over to someone who knows what they're doing.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Thank you for letting us know and good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users