Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with flash player

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Robvw

Robvw

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

I have Windows 7. 64Bit I cannot download Flash player 11.2 to work with Firefox 11. I have used the uninstaller and reinstalled flash player many times. The download appears to install and at the finish the website says "download successful" but each web site states that I need the flash player plug-in. I understand the two different players for IE and Firefox. The Flash player works fine in IE. What am I doing wrong.
This is my first post I hope I am doing this correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

You have to add Flash through Firefox addons. I don't use Firefox so I don't know if it works any other way.

#3 Robvw

Robvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

No flash player is loaded in a normal fashion. Could not even find it in Firefox Add-ons list.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Click on Tools, Addons, Plugins.....Shockwave Flash should be there if it is installed in Firefox.
If it is listed, click on Check For Updates....Follow the instructions for updating.

Make sure that Flash isn't showing that has been disabled while viewing the Plugins.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Robvw

Robvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

No, it does not appear in my list of plugins. Here is what I have been doing. After I received your reply I uninstalled Adobe flash player using the Adobe uninstaller. I turned off my Theatfire program. I went to the Adobe download site. The site correctly identified me as using a Windows 64bit with Firefox browser . I then downloaded the Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.228. I follow usual download procedure (as administrator) and it appears to download without a problem. The Adobe website pops up and says your download was successful. However, (BIG However) the Flash Player (Shockwave) is not installed or at least not recognized by Firefox. BTW I am using windows 7 and Firefox 11.0
EI Flash Player is installed and working fine

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

That's because despite Adobe telling you the download was successful, it wasn't and you have to use Firefox addons to install Flash properly. It won't work any other way. Adobe are such dopes. You have to locate Flash in the list of available Firefox addons and then install it.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

After downloading, close all programs including browsers. Find the flash.exe, usually in downloads, and
double click on it to install. Be sure to uncheck the box for installing McAfee security scanner.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Robvw

Robvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I cannot for the life of me find Adobe flash player in the list of add-ons. I did a search in my "get add-on page" using "flash" and another using "Adobe" with no results. In the past I was able to download right from the Adobe site my problem came when I updated Firefox or
Adobe can't remember which one. I can't believe I am the only one having this problem.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

FWIW It is in tools
Add-Ons
Plugins

In my FF11 in this system.
If it isn't showing there it won't work as far as I know.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Follow the directions in the link below for installing the flash plugin.

How do I install the Flash plugin? | How to | Firefox Help

#11 Robvw

Robvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for your help but the instructions to download flash contained in your link are those that I have tried at least 10 times. At this point I think I'll just use another browser. When the going gets tough .... Quit!

#12 Robvw

Robvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Well I didn't quit I just kept uninstalling and reinstalling perhaps another 5 or 6 times and it finally took. Nothing seemed different then the many other times but shockwave showed up in my plug-in list and it is working just fine. So I guess the answer to my original post is perseverance.
Thanks again to all that helped.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'll agree Flash and Firefox don't work near as smooth as IE.

I've never had to do it more than once with IE. Firefox can take several tries.

The only reason I use it is the NoScript add-on for when I'm searching.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 Robvw

Robvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I can't believe this bleeping FF I lost shockwave. One day it was there and it was gone the next. I have uninstalled and installed several times without luck. I even uninstalled and reinstaled FF with no luck. My wife runs FF11 and has no trouble with shockwave. I run Windows7 she has XP. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I am have now downloaded Chrome to see if I like that. Maybe when FF12 comes out it will be more friendly to Shock.

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Using Win 7 and Firefox.....never had a problem with updating either Firefox or Flash.

Suggest you try a Clean uninstall and reinstall of Firefox. Instructions in link below.
Uninstalling Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Be sure to backup bookmarks before doing the clean uninstall.

EDIT: From the web: Adobe Forums: Flash problems only on Firefox 11
you are probably running a 32-bit version of firefox. firefox 11 is not available in 64-bit. the nightly's on the other hand are available in 64-bit.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/11.0/system-requirements/

download the "All Other Browsers" installer here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-pla yer-windows.html#Install_in_a_firewall_proxy_server_environment

the 64-bit installer should work fine. it will install the 32-bit plugin also.

after the download is complete, quit out of firefox and double click the installer. follow the prompts to completion and start up firefox. navigate to this page to see that the install succeeded. http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Edited by buddy215, 14 April 2012 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users