Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Delete Files & User Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 latindohko

latindohko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

I have an issue with an Optiplex 330 computer.

Issue:

• I cannot delete files from the Desktop because if i restart the computer, the files will be back.
  • I cannot delete the Main User Folder because it comes back after i restart the computer
  • I have been successful at deleted other User Folders without them coming back

Steps I have done:

• I have installed Windows completly and noticed all the settings for the user were saved
  • I have made sure there are no back up application on this computer
  • I have ran malwarebytes & combo fix without either encountering any infections
  • If i were to cut any files from this user and paste it to a network drive, after a restart i would have duplicate files. On computer and network drive

Thank you for your help

jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

You cannot delete any user folder, IME, since they are system folders and Windows won't allow them to be deleted.

Louis

#3 latindohko

latindohko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

You cannot delete any user folder, IME, since they are system folders and Windows won't allow them to be deleted.

Louis

Hey Louis,

I am not trying to delete system folders. I am trying to delete a folder which is the main user of the computer under the "Documents and Settings" folder. There were about 4 or 5 other User Folder there that i was able to delete with no problem. I am not trying to delete the "Administrator", "All Users", "Default User" folders.

Like i said on my first post, regardless of whether i delete a single file from this user, or the whole folder, once i reboot the computer, everything goes back to how it was. All files i deleted come back, etc.

thank you,

Jason

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm fairly certain that as long as it's not the default admin folder you should be able to delete it. Have you deleted the account in Control Panel - User Accounts? Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?

Edited by Allan, 10 April 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

if they are returning on reboot then windows is recreating them ,as suggested by allan you will have to remove the user first

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Addendum...Docs/Settings folders...system files created by Windows.

You can, as suggested, try deleting the user account first...then deleting the Docs/Settings folders.

Louis

#7 latindohko

latindohko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys,

I think by your suggestions i made an interesting discovery.

• I checked the Users under Control Panel and saw the User belonged to the "Debuggers" group
  • I switched the group to Administrator and tried deleting files, but the files came back after rebooting
  • I deleted the User from User Accounts
  • I was able to delete the User Folder, rebooted and saw the folder was gone
  • I rebooted again, but this time logged in as that user and the folder & all its settings returned

It was after seeing this that i went to our server to check if there was any setting on the user account as well as the user's network folder that will prevent any changes, or anything that will explain this behavior. I finally noticed that the User folder in the computer i am trying to delete the folder from has somehow being copied to the user's network drive folder. Now because the network drives are set up to connect at login, the User folder and all its settings come back because they are saved on the network from the start.

So, i guess now the solution would be to delete the contents on the user's network drive in the server and try logging in on the computer to see whether this fixes it, although i have a pretty good idea that it will.

I will post back to see whether this resolved the issue or not.

On a side note, i know i did not set it up this way, but how could that have happened.

thank you all for your help,

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users