Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gnome-ppp and wvdial

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

A recent install of Debian 6 (Squeeze) on a laptop has got some sort of problem between Gnome-ppp and wvdial. Running wvdial from a root window works. It dials out using the slmodemd and connects. So the script and softmodem interface are working.

But when invoked from the regular user account, Gnome-ppp doesn't seem to be able to send the password to the dialer. Instead, the log shows the dialer asking for the password, which of course hangs the dial process. Well, the password was typed into the right box on the Gnome-ppp dialog. Why not? Typing the password into the log window doesn't work, of course. Canceling at this point seems to leave wvdial in limbo, resulting in a "busy" port that cannot be opened by any new attempts with Gnome-ppp. What could be going wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Try this; Open a terminal and type:

sudo chown root:dip /usr/sbin/pppd
sudo chmod 4754 /usr/sbin/pppd
sudo chmod 777 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
sudo chmod 777 /etc/ppp/peers

Then try it again as the user.

This sort of thing is usually a permissions problem when it works OK for root.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

It's not a permissions thing. It can't even dial because it isn't getting the password. I found a bug listed for Ubuntu from five years ago that describes the problem I've been seeing.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-ppp/+bug/84837

Apparently this has never been fixed in Debian though the Ubuntu bug tracker claims it is fixed. Don't they pass these things back upstream when they fix them? I suppose I could just put the password in the config file, but that's one more thing someone who rooted the machine would be able to get if they got control.

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Well, for now I have simply put the password in the config file. I would prefer not to do that, since that makes it available if anyone compromises the system.

But Gnome-ppp has other problems. Has anyone gotten it to recognize more than one dialer profile in the wvdail.conf? It will only use the last one as far as I have seen. So why is there an arrow for a drop down box on the dialog? Doesn't that mean it's supposed to offer some choices?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users