Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

m17x failing to boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pvtchurch01

Pvtchurch01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

Ok so here is a little detail about the problem.

I have an M17x R1 which ran Vista 64bit, Intel core 2 processor, twin GT260's and 2 x 300GB HDD's

To cut a long story short i managed to get a virus which forced me to recover windows, i decided to install windows 7 64bit and break the RAID setup. Everything was fine until i experience a few problems with wireless internet and RIAD so i deleted the array and decided to go back to Vista 64bit. However i couldnt use the alien respawn so i tried to boot from CD with the recovery disk but my laptop just refuses to do it. It wont boot from HDD or the recovery disk regardless of what setup im using for the HDD. I have tried everything i can think of up to and including using an external dvd drive and i have ran out of options.

Up to now i either get a blank screen after the BIOS and start-up info or i get the NVIDIA boot agent with PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable and PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent. Operating System not found.

If anyone can help me with the problem i will be very grateful as i haven't had a fully functioning laptop for about 2 weeks and everytime i think im getting somewhere it just keeps getting worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Did you go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD as the first boot device? Also if you do not intend on using the RAID you may need to disable that in the BIOS as well in order for the drives to be seen individually. Some recovery disks just access a hidden partition on the hard drive. Is it a single DVD or multiple DVD's? Single DVD's usually indicate it is accessing a hidden partition while multiple DVD's are usually the entire recovery process.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Pvtchurch01

Pvtchurch01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Yes i set CD\DVD as the first boot option and it wont do anything.

I have tried 2 single RAID arrays striped, 1 RAID array striped, RAID with no arrays, ATA and ACHI both legacy and native and none work.

Alien respawn was installed in a small partition of the HDD however im not sure if it is there anymore. I have a single recovery disk that appears to contain windows vista 64bit home premium which states that the software on the DVD was preinstalled on my hard drive and may only be used for backup and recovery.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I have a single recovery disk that appears to contain windows vista 64bit home premium

Hi -
Do you still have a Genuine Windows7 install CD also, or just the Vista CD ??

Thank You -

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

So it was a RAID setup with Vista installed on it? The you broke the RAID and installed windows 7 on a single drive? If that it the case you may have very likely overwritten the protion of the drive that contained the restore partition. That is why the single restore DVD will not work. Your best bet would be to re-install Windows 7 assuming you still have the installation disk.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users