Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problems after cpu upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shot00

shot00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hi guys,
recently i upgraded my cpu. I had a pentium dual T2390 to C2D T5800.
Well, my problem is that my laptop needs to boot twice before i get the welcome screen.
To make that clear...When i switch on my laptop before grub loads(cause i have dual boot with linux) a red flashing image pops out for milliseconds.
After i press to boot with windows 7 it just freezes on the welcome screen,after 1 minute a bsod comes out and says about igdkmd32.sys error and reboots itself instantly.Then,after the restart, no red flashing images and windows boot succesful-no bsod, normal temperatures
Well, i have to do this everytime for a succesful boot.This is also happening with linux so i don't think it's windows or generally software problem.
Also noticed something strange. With my T2390 my ram timings were 4-4-4-12(266MHz) and now with the T5800 are 5-5-5-15(333MHz).Is this has to do anything with my problem?
Sorry for my english mistakes :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Did you check that your motherboard is compatible with the C2D? If so did you check that your BIOS is at the correct revision for the C2D? The memory timings are probably related to the differing FSB speeds between the two CPU's. I would double check the memory just to be sure it supports running at those speeds/timings.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hi

BIOS errors usually have a red font or a red background color which would fit with Baltboy's suggestions.

A possible cause is if the onboard video and the CPU are confused about who gets what piece of RAM then you could get the error with igdkmd32.sys then after a warm reboot they choose different parts of RAM that don't conflict with each other. If that is the case and nothing else works, you might try popping in a video card and disabling the onboard video.

If you are already using a video card with onboard video disabled or non-existent then I am waaaaaay of base :)

James

#4 shot00

shot00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Well, about the compatibility BIOS recognize the new cpu.Beside that i can boot normally the second time so i think it is compatible with my mobo.
Now about the revision i didn't catch that.I also run a memtest and no problems found.
Indeed i have on-board video card-Intel GMA X3100.
I found a guy that had the same problem and solved it by downgrade his ram.He moved from a pc2-5300 to pc2-4200. I have one module of pc2-6400.Replaced my ram with
two modules of pc2-5300 but no luck...
Well it's not bothering me a lot to boot twice but the problem is why.Maybe i'll put back the T2390-i didn't see much of improvement after all.
I may sound like a noob but can i really get rid of my x3100 and put a real video card. Because i think i heard that from NeverSayDie. Or i misunderstood...
Thanks for the replies btw

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hi

Your English is very good. Tell me if you do not understand something that I say.

Here is what I think might be happening. It is only a guess :)

The new CPU and the onboard video have a conflict in RAM that is resolved on the second boot.

Changing the RAM might fix it sometimes but not always.

If you have an extra video card then put it in the computer and plug the monitor into the video card
then go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video
then completely shut the computer down
boot the computer (using the video card with the onboard video disabled) and see if it works.
If it does not fix it then enable the onboard video again.
If it does work, use the video card and keep the onboard video disabled.

James

#6 shot00

shot00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

But as far as i know my mobo doesn't have any slots to place the 'other' video card- you mean dedicated,right?. It's an OEM /prebuild HP 308A. But maybe i'm just wrong.
How do i check this? I mean if i'm able to place a video card.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Is it a laptop?

If it is then that is my mistake. I thought it was a desktop computer. I don't know how to resolve a memory conflict between the CPU and the video in a laptop.

Maybe a BIOS upgrade but I am always afraid to mess with the BIOS unless I absolutely have to. Especially on laptops.

James

EDIT: I see that you mentioned laptop memory parts so I assumed incorrectly. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 10 April 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#8 shot00

shot00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yes it's a laptop.Anyway if anything comes up i'll tell you.But i think i'll go back with the T2390.
As i said didn't see much of improvement with the T5800

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users