Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Internet connection (DSL) when phone rings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 time2spare

time2spare

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

We have DSL service though phone company.
For some reason, we cannot use the land line without droping the internet connection. After a few minutes on the phone, the internet connection can be restored. This is very annoying and just started recently. There had been no problem with this for at least a couple of years. Also, maybe or maybe not related, but seems to have started at about the same time, phone service fades in and out during approximately this same time period. The only change in the past few months was the addition of a wired router, (an old Linksys BEFSR41). Do you think the router could cause such a problem? Do you think this is a problem originating with the service provider? How about the DSL Filter?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

First thing I'd try is to replace the DSL filter. To know if it's a line problem or not, we'd need to see the line quality stats.

If replacing the DSL filter doesn't fix it, it'd probably be best to contact your provider. When dealing with DSL, interference and line quality plays a huge role since distance is such a factor and 90% of the time - problems like this are caused by line issues. Most line issues only your ISP can fix.

Edited by NpaMA, 10 April 2012 - 12:50 AM.

#3 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

As he says, 90% dsl filter. are u sure u have a filter at every phone point? disconnect all phones but one and test. swap phone and retest. swap phone point and retest. swap filter and repeat. rinse and repeat...
10% modem/router. Borrow one and try it instead.Interference on the line is not your issue, if it was, it would affect everything, not only when u pick up a call

Edit: hmm, misread initial post, yoir phone service fades in and out? Wierd.would love u to post eventual solution here for me please.
I still reckon its a filter issue, but have seen a router do exactly this too

Edited by Fozzies, 15 April 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#4 time2spare

time2spare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have replaced the DSL filter, but problems remains. I have contacted the provider, and was told instantly that the problem was the DSL modem. This was without asking any questions, not even if the filter has been changed. How could this be determined so quickly without question? I am hesitant replace the modem without more assurance that it is the problem.

I do not have a filter attached to every phone connection, just a splitter type DSL device that has a connection for RJ45 and one for phone. I just have the one filter to separate the network connection from the phone line; I have two other phones connected directly to the phone line. It worked well this way until recently. As a matter of fact it has worked for two years like this, but the router was just added about 3 months ago, and the problem started about 1 month ago.

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Could be a known issue with you model modem, or they ran quick diagnostics from their end on your modem.
Posted Image

#6 time2spare

time2spare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Well, today I connected a filter to every phone line (that had a phone), and you guys are right. Problem solved. I am obviously clueless as to how DSL interference occurs. I thought you just had to seperate the DSL modem from the phone line, but it would appear you actually have to isolate the phone(s) from the phone line and the modem. I tried connecting the modem diretly to the line, with all phones isolated with filters and it works fine. I just wonder why it took so long to screw up, it worked for two years! Guess I was just lucky.

Just one last question. For proper operation, should the DSL modem still be connected to the splitter filter, or can it be connected directly to the phone line if all phones are isolated with a filter?
Thanks for your assistance, and your patience.

#7 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

The modem needs to connect via the filter. without it you can expect more interference problems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users