Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get past Boot Screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 JoeLud

JoeLud

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

A problem just started where I get my normal boot up sequence - the HP splash screen then the choice of which copy of Windows XP Professional I want to run. (One is an old, nonexistent version.) When I select the version to run (the correct one) I get kicked back to the HP splash screen and we start over. This cycle goes on forever.

If I boot into safe mode a number of drivers load, I get to mup.sys and we go back to the HP splash screen.

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.

Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting.

Do you have access to a working computer and an empty USB flash drive we can use?

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 JoeLud

JoeLud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi. Thank you for your help. I have done nothing since this problem started except to boot in Safe Mode and, as I stated, I get as far as mup.sys loading and then the spalsh screen again.

In reply to your question yes I have access to another PC and several empty flash drives ranging up to 8 Gig. If it helps I can also slave the problem drive to the other PC.

In case it is of help I also have an XP Professional SP2 disk. Also, I used to be a VB6 programmer (back in the late 90s) in case that helps in communicating information back and forth. I am at least somewhat familiar with PCs. That having been said though, I know very little about dealing with the OS.

PC hardware:
HP/Compaq d530 desktop.
1 Gig memory
Approx. 120 Gig Western Digital hard drive
CD/DVD burner (aftermarket generic)

I run Comodo Antivirus. I also periodically run Malwarebytes and CCleaner.
I keep updated with Microsoft Update.

Whatever else I can do to help please let me know.

Again, Thanks

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

This can be a bit tricky as there could be many causes. We'll just work in order. I have a feeling it's the MBR. But, let's start with the simplest approach. ALso, do you see the Windows splash screen when you boot? Or do you never see it and the system just restarts?

First, have you tried to to boot into "Last Known Good Configuration"? It should be an option after you press F8. What happens?

We will likely have to slave it or create a Linux flash drive...I have tools that work both ways.

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#5 JoeLud

JoeLud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Wow! Last Known Good Configuration worked! I thought that failed after you rebooted once or twice. Anyway. Is there anything I should do to preventy this from happening again? Should I run scans? Also, I guess I should ask, is Comodo a good antivirus, etc.?

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hello, JoeLud.

LKGC is saved every time your computer successfully boots. So, it doesn't get overwritten by boot failures, thankfully.

If you think that's it, then we're done here. If you'd like to see if it's virus related, please follow these instructions now that you can boot and post the requested logs here.

etavares

Posted Image

#7 JoeLud

JoeLud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

What instructions?

#8 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Sorry, for some reason the link didn't come through. Please follow these instructions and post the requested logs in this thread.

Posted Image

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

Still need help?

Posted Image

#10 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users