Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All documents in my documents windows 7 are .js format

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 edhuddl

edhuddl

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

My friends computer had a virus and he moved it to vault?? Now all his files under my documents and his user are in .js format and they will not change. I have ran malewarebytes, tdsskiller,and aswMBR with no infections. I am now running combofix which deleated some files.I have tried to open the files which should be jpeg and word with the program but it cannot open .js. I did a system restore before problem, to no avail . There is no information on the internet about this. Any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 edhuddl

edhuddl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

I also found out the virus hid files with certain extentions. First I have to unhide the files then work on the java script format.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Please read this topic: Unhide.exe - A introduction as to what this program does
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 edhuddl

edhuddl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for the advise. I ran unhide and the program revealed many files that were hidden. Now the task of the .js format.

#5 edhuddl

edhuddl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the advice. Everything is back to normal except there are all sorts of file with diffrent extensions showing. It looks loke the virus made files for diffrent extentions or whatever!! Thanks Bleeping Computers you saved the day again.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

These are fixes that will repair file associations:
CAUTION: Some of these steps involve making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes. Vista/Windows 7 users can refer to these instructions. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. ERUNT or ERUNTgui is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Note: ERUNT and NTREGOPT will only work correctly in Windows 7 and Vista if you turn off User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Control Panel.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users