Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown files in startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 retiredo3e

retiredo3e

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

I have two lines in my startup list that each have a checked box at the beginning of the line, followed by a blank space in the 'Command' column. The first one shows 'HKLM' as the beginning of the Location column entry; the second shows 'HKCU.' Does anybody have any idea what these are or how I can find out? I really don't want to uncheck the boxes and end up killing the internet east of the Mississippi or fathering a three-legged child! Help, please, and thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Might help if you listed the entire entry for each. Both are windows registry items but the rest of the info could help if there is an issue.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi retiredo3e,

Sounds like it may be virus/trojan related. HKCU is added by the Mega Antivirus 2012 rogue anti-spyware program.

HKCU

I would recommend posting in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Please read Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help before posting

Pauline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users