Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Controlling A Different Computer From My Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

Quick story to let you know where I'm going with this.....Yesterday I drove over an hour in crappy weather to fix someones computer. Come to find out it was spyware/adware (found spyaxe and spysherrif on it). I ran a few programs, downloaded something to get rid of spyaxe, downloaded and installed zone alarm (free version) and disabled somethings in the start up menu. I would've liked to been able to do this from the comfort of my own home, as the drive up there and the time I spent wasn't worth the money I made :thumbsup: :flowers:

After reading through some of the threads here, could I have them install the client version of VNC and have my comp running the server version of VNC and be able to FULLY CONTROL their machine? By fully controlling, I mean could I make their machine access the internet and download programs (adaware, CWS shredder etc.) and then install and run those programs? Could I make changes in the start up menu (via msconfig)? Basically, could I control their computer from my computer and do everything exactly as if I was sitting in front of their computer?

If I could, could someone point me in the direction of VNC to download it and offer any advice/tips on it?

Thanks in advance for your help! :trumpet:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

Yes you could. You would need to have HSI on both ends to make it practical. You will also have to port forward the target computer (server) to get thru a router. If you are a direct link to the modem all the target (server) needs to do is advise you of his current IP address. If the target computer (server) has a software firewall, the incoming connection will have to be allowed on the port (I believe that will be 5700) similar to port forwarding. This is a great ool and I use it all the time on my LAN to maintain my kids computer so I can work from my desk.
You need to check the TOS agreement with the target computer. Some ISPs restrict the remote access no matter how brief. They go as far as blocking port 80 for HTTP, Port 21 for FTP, and Port 25 for email to prevent you from operating a server. Of course for a small monthly fee they will premit such activity. My costs went from $40 to $80 for 6Mb/768kb. If you go this router and do not wish to pay for a staic IP address you can go with a Dynamic DNS service. There are several free services that are very good. TMI? (Too Much Information)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:31 AM

:inlove: :thumbsup: :flowers: :bike:

Ok, so it's not just as simple as downloading a program on both machines (VNC)? Or even using remote assistance? OMG--> I feel dumb again! :trumpet:

Certainly not TMI, just more than I was expecting. Like when you ask the wife what's for dinner and get told to STFU and take out the trash. See, expected an answer, just not one as complex as that! Glad you told me all that though, as now I'll have to look into it.

What does remote assistanc do then? I figured that would be the "quick answer" to it all! And, VNC won't do what I'm looking for then?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

another quick idea,
click on start>all programs>remote assistance.
messenger has this capability. you can remotely control the computer from the comfort of your home! sounds nice. BUT. while you are removing spyware/adware/malware and damaging sockets and reg keys in the process, you will likely suffer from at least lag, or worse, total loss of control. you are depending on the "infected" remote computer to host a connection. you may find it less of a bother to actuallt be there.

on the other hand, i have many of my remote clients ;on one form or another; on a remote "assistance", ranging from messenger to pc anywhere to vnc. i find it to be an immense help for customers who live hours away and cannot have the convience of my being there at a whim. most other non-malignant software issues may be dealt with this way, providing a valuable service at a fraction of the cost, and can be simultaneously done with my laptop and an rj-45 connedtion at a quick phone call's notice! but for spyware/malware, not a good idea i wouldnt SUGGEST.

http://www.realvnc.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...sist/intro.mspx
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/pr...a115/index.html
happy reading
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

Try Looking at NO-IP.com It is a free service that will allow you to have access to a computer remotely. Now that you have the link it is just easier to review the site. It a nut shell, once configured to can access the connection from anywhere on the internet. I used it when I was an Paramedic instructor to retrieve forms needed for classes.
The site Port Forward.Com may help answer a few of the question you still have. I still want to help. I think these resources will help. If you still have question or just want to talk please keep posting here. We are happy to help.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

Wow, all this stuff is great! The helpfulness of everyone here is nearly overwhelming!'

Now, I just need for someones computer to break so I can try these things out on them.... :thumbsup:

Of course, I'd have to try these things first before I'd attempt doing this on a "customers" computer. The only computer that I can think of that I'd be able to control remotely is my son's machine that's upstairs. Here's the catch-->his computer is networked to mine and it's also hooked up via a wireless router to my comp. Does that make it futile to try and connect to his machine, or would it still work?

Sorry if I'm a pain for all these questions, but like I said in my introduction, I hope to learn a lot from this site....I just need you all to tolerate all my relentless quetions!!!! :flowers:

Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:11 AM

Run upstairs and install http://www.RealVNC.com and get the server running, the write down his LAN IP . o to you coputer start he client on you VNC and plug in your son's LAN IP. It is that simple. His computer will appear within a screen on your desktop. You move you mouse over the window and every movement or key stroke applies to his computer.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

Sweet! I'll have to try that. I'll install it and won't tell him. Promisses to be fun! Like the time that I told him Alt+F4 was a cheat code for any computer game :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Posted Image

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:50 PM

set the passwords so he cannot disable it. You can also observer what he is doing as long as you don't cross the screen with you mouse cursor. I wold look over the controls and option before you use it.

Have fun :thumbsup:

#10 rockwell133

rockwell133

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:02 AM

Just adding a quick question... How do you use VNC to connect to another computer down the road through the internet? I'm guessing the person has to tell you what there IP address is for that connection as they dont have a static one? And they have to have VNC server software running on there computer? Hope thats not too many questions. Thanks

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:17 AM

As I understand it, yes. I've had a friend use VNC on me and control my computer. I just didn't know if I could make the computer I'm controlling download things off the internet and install then run programs. Apparently you can :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

If you don't mind me chipping in here.

I've used TightVNC to fix a friend's computer. It needs them to start it running and tell you the password and ip address but it is literally like being sat in front of their PC and controlling it. You can practise it on your own LAN. I did and it works fine.

I've also seen UltraVNC recommended as it has encryption as well.

Best of all. Totally free.

The only drawback I can see with these programs is when you need to restart the computer. You need the other user to launch the program again.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

With RealVNC htere is a key combination to reboot. It has to be to where the target computer automaticly starts at boot. As long as the modem on the target system does not renew the lease on the WAN IP address you should be able to go right back in with the same IP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users