Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Enyo

Enyo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I've been experiencing stuttering that occurs every five minutes or so, but only lasts a second or more. It's been getting progressively worse recently. I reformatted my hard drive under Windows 7 recently so I know that it isn't a problem with the OS, and I also know now that it's a problem with the hardware.

My guess as to what's faulty is either the power supply or the hard drive. Is there any way to test which part is going bad?

Thanks,

Edit: I also ran HWMonitor and I found nothing overheating, so I don't think dust would be obstructing anything.

Edited by Enyo, 09 April 2012 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leea934

Leea934

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Having a similar problem. My computer's stuttering is very bad - everything freezes for a couple seconds (mouse, music, browser, video, etc.)

While we wait for an expert - I have replaced my primary harddrive to a SSD (with a fresh OS install.) Processor & zalman fan, mobo & graphics card have all been replaced within 1.5 years. Hopefully this helps people narrow down the causes.

I am going insane because of this - thinking of just cutting losses and buying new RAM, mobo and processor. Definately a hardware issue as a fresh install yielded no results.

EDIT
You might get a faster answer if you did a speccy
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
- The geniuses always ask me to do this. (don't worry - nothing sensitive is divulged.)

Edited by Leea934, 09 April 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Enyo

Enyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Ja. The same problem; everything stalls for a few seconds. It hasn't been happening as frequent since I reinstalled Windows, only once that I've noticed since starting up. I'm hoping in vain that it was just a really random stutter.

From my hard drive's diagnostic tool: the most I've noticed is a read error rate on the hard drive of 200. I dunno if that's normal, high or low. And thanks, I took a look at Speccy too, and I didn't find anything noticeable aside from the read error rate.

Edit: Still no stutter. My assumption is that it's gone, but I'll post again if it returns.

Edited by Enyo, 09 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

In task manager, is there anything running in the background when this stutter happens? Any cpu usage spikes?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Enyo

Enyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

It's still happening, but it's miniscule in comparison to before the reformat in length and frequency. When it gets worse (as I'm sure it will) I'll keep an eye on the task manager.

Edit: Ah, right. I'll keep the Resource Monitor open too.

Edited by Enyo, 09 April 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#6 Enyo

Enyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

As an update: the stuttering problem actually came from running uTorrent. As long as I don't have uTorrent on, I don't experience any stuttering.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for posting your discovery/solution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users