Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game suggestions for Win98

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 pcmom1

pcmom1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have an old laptop that I just put Win98 back on. I've got tons for kids games but am looking for games that are for adults. It's been so long that I can't remember a lot of the games that were out. Any suggestions for some good games to play on Win98?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

I was a kid when Windows 98 was in vogue, but here's a few that I remember:

Sim City 3000 Unlimited
Star Trek: Armada I & II (good if you're a Trekkie who likes real-time-strategy games.)
Diablo I + Expansion Pack (Depending on the hardware, you might also be able to play Diablo II)
Half Life (The Original)
ToonStruck (a weird fantasy/RPG/adventure game starring a motion-captured Christopher Lloyd with an appearance by Ben Stein.)
Stronghold (build and defend medieval castles.)

Finding copies of these games might be challenging. Good Old Games sells classic games on the cheap, and even have a few that are free (like Beneath a Steel Sky.) Ebay is another place to look for geriatric games.

Edited by Andrew, 09 April 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Starcraft might be able to run too.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

'Descent' ... loved it! The Doom series of course too.
Posted Image

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Yes there are loads of games that work on Win98SE. As mensioned there is Doom, Doom 2, Half-Life and there are loads of racing games.

I've made card games that work on all Windows versions Pyramid and Quick Solitaire.

There is a Sokoban 2.2.5 that I've used all Windows versions which is quite a good puzzle.

Shanghai II Dragon's Eye is another good game if you Google it.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 cfo

cfo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Sid Meier's Civilization III came out when Win 98 was still in use. I still use it running Win 7 as I like its play better than Civ IV or Civ V.

#7 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

I have an old laptop that I just put Win98 back on.

Excellent -- Very good :)

I hope you can get er going and have lots of fun!!!

Edited by 4dude, 19 May 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8 which were ported by Square_Enix to the personal computer will run quite well with Windows 98.

The Final Fantasy series is a Role Playing game series where you control the charicters and a story line unfolds as you progress through the game. The charicters use either guardian forces (such as in FF 8) or Orbs (in FF 7) to create magic spells and battle the enemy charicters. FF is a quest game that is both enteraining and emotional at the same time, because the story line and the charicters exhibit life like feelings of emotion.

You can still find copies of both games on E-Bay or Amazon.

Another good game is Quake III Arena. This game is a shooter type game where you have to run about and kill what is called Frags. Each set of frags you kill, the higher your rank and the harder the game gets.

I could go on and on with a list of good games, but I chose to list the two Final Fantasy games because they both have a great story line where you really get to know the charicters and sometimes see yourself in the game.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Does anyone have suggestions for free games?

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

You might want to check out the listing of free games here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic112111.html

At least some of them will work on Windows 98

This one, which I found on that list, does: http://takegame.com/arcade/htm/manicminer.htm
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 some1special

some1special

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have an old laptop that I just put Win98 back on. I've got tons for kids games but am looking for games that are for adults. It's been so long that I can't remember a lot of the games that were out. Any suggestions for some good games to play on Win98?

starcraft or red alert

#12 MJ-PC-H8R

MJ-PC-H8R

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

C&C Red Alert needed the WIN9x (and WinME) OS's to play.

Descent was best in the DOS Command line if the computer is really old, otherwise an emulator could do it - of course, if you are using an emulator (like DFend reloaded) then it doesn't need Win9x to run...

I don't know much about Final Fantasy, but I do know it gained rave reviews when it came out. Probably one of the games I would try if I only get my mitts on it...

Thanks to all of you that gave the links...

#13 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Whiplash (you need a dos emulator for the sound, but the game works great and is AMAZINGLY FUN), this freaking game needs a SEQUEL
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

#14 win2000

win2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator(the original) is a great WWII air combat game. You can find it for a good price on the internet. Although the graphics are not considered to be good by today's standards, it was revolutionary when it came out. It runs great and was specifically designed for Windows 98. You should give it a try. =)
It is good for teens and adults.

Edited by win2000, 23 December 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#15 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Mechwarrior 3 and 4 ought to play fine on Win98SE

Also, Dynamix's Starsiege. This game is free. However, you will need to go to this website : http://w.tarazedi.com/Starsiege and obtain the instructions on how to download, install and tweek it in order to get it to work. You should not require any major tweeking to get the game to work on it, but the full download is free with all the applicable patches as well. Just follow the above sites instructions and it should work for you fine.

Diablo 2 and its expansion should work fine too!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users