Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where should GWMDMpi.exe be found?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

GWMDMpi - GWMDMpi.exe - Program Informationwww.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/GWMDMpi.exe-1892.htmlCached - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
... the startup entry named GWMDMpi that points to the GWMDMpi.exe file. ... The following information is a brief description of what is known about this file.

The above entry was found by Google search for GWMDMpi.exe [GWMDMpi.exe was identified by AVG as a possible virus]. This entry goes to bleepincomputer.com which says it is a valid file but does not know the location in the computer system.

My question: I have read that an executable file not located in its proper location can be a virus. Would that be the case here since AVG indentified it as a possible virus and the normal or proper location is not known? It is located in windows/drivers/modem in my computer. Does anyone know the proper location or if the location in my computer is acceptable?

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2012 - 11:34 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Any filename...could reflect a virus...the criteria for determining whether the file is a valid file should include looking at stated file size, location, and known location of the valid file.

See Comments section at http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/gwmdmpi.exe.html .

http://www.auditmypc.com/gwmdmpi.asp

http://www.exedb.com/gwmdmpi.html

I don't show a Drivers folder in the path you reflect...my path is Windows/System32/Drivers, but I don't have a Gateway system or need modem drivers.

I'll move this to Am I Infected.

Louis

#3 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hello there. My name is Pizza and Pepsi. I will try to help you out.

Lets run a scan:

Download Malwarebytes.
Click the free version

After MBAM is installed, update MBAM and run a full scan.

Do NOT remove anything, so uncheck the boxes if any malware was found.

Please post back the log.
Malware shall not pass!

#4 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thanks, I downloaded and ran the scan. It found only one item states PUM.disabled.security center and the item is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security CenterUpdatesDisabledNotify. The program will not save the log. I have old logs from years back that have been saved but this [just downloaded one] will not save the log eventhough it was clicked.
It seems there is nothing detected...other than noting that I have automatic updates turned off.

#5 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Does there appear to be any unusual behavior on the computer?
Malware shall not pass!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

GWMDMPI is a software patch (fix) for internal modems on Gateway 450 and 500 series laptops. It fixes a problem in Windows XP where the audio settings of your modem are not remembered unless you install this fix.

Do a file search on your PC for GWMDMpi.exe and see where it is on the machine.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sorry...took a while to get back...

Nothing unusual in operation except that it seems at times to get so bogged down (have deleted cookies and cleaned disk) so I suspect that it's AVG running in the background and wanting to get involved in everything going on. I only question this file since AVG reported it as a possible virus. Revision: Guess I need to change that comment...I can no longer restore to any date...3 months ago or not even yesterday. I did notice that AVG had identified a possible problem and the info had the word restore in it. This has happened before and the only way I was able to recover the ability to restore was to reinstall the system from a disk backup. I often use that feature to backout of something that does not appear to work properly. Not sure if that can back out of a virus though....maybe someone knows but I have no clue.

The file is located at windows/drivers/modem. This is a desktop and not Gateway but I do remember installing a fix where the audio would not stay at a high volume...dropped to low on its own, so it could easily be that fix. It is located in a folder with other modem files, so that would explain the Gateway involvement.

Sometime I want to find a web site that identifies all the little executable files which show up under task manager [remember a web site name... black viper maybe?? or something similar that discussed each such file and whether it can be shut down with adversely affecting program.] Perhaps I must spend the time to become more familiar with it all to determine if I can terminate certain ones. And if I terminate, do they become active again (what is the term, reload or is there something new). Getting off base and off subject...just thinking out loud...that is about all that I can say regarding the subject file. Unless there is something else that folks know, I think it is all ok. So thanks for the help.

Edited by Chris Bar, 12 April 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

See Pacman's Portal

Use Process Explorer to see what's running at startup.

Please download and run Process Explorer v11.33
Click on File then Save As, create a log.

The system restore can be a few things.

Rule out malware
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

>>>

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

OR a corrupt file: Use SFC

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.

Edited by boopme, 12 April 2012 - 08:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have lately been somewhat overwhelmed by other important stuff and the above response...I am not that computer literate although I was in computer equipment design straight from school...but mechanical stuff...disk and tape drives, heat transfer analysis etc...but with onset of windows, have become lost! So please bear with me while I try to catch up....so I can understand the help offered. BTW, thanks for helping me.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Take your time, we help all skill levels.

#11 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well, I can't explain it, but restore works now.

I had done a disk check, all ok, and I had removed AVG, did a Malware check which found nothing, then thought, why not see if restore will work back one day, which it did. Then I tried several months, which it did, followed by back to April, the earliest I can go [apparently on my history data date limits?]

Would defrag now just to get everything cleaned up, but question if it will just go nuts on me. Will do it...wish me luck.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help. Seems to be working faster now too. When I push the buttons it goes to work instead of waiting for something else to happen, like it needs a boot in the rear (no pun intended). Perhaps AVG was taking too long doing whatever it does. I may be more open to problems but at least it's better than my system working like an old 286...maybe.....

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Good luck and you're welcome from all of us..
Sometimes it's just a glitch and we are happy they go away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users