Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just opening Task Manager resolves performance issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joel9507

joel9507

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

This is odd, and I'm hoping someone can help me figure this one out.

Short summary*: I'm playing an on-line game, now and again it slows up (ping goes way up, fps slows) and when I open Task Manager, the game speeds back up with no other action on my part. If I keep the Task Manager open, eventually the performance hit will recur after perhaps 10-15 minutes. I have to close Task Manager and re-open it for the fix to happen again.

My guess is the culprit is some built-in Windows feature/process/service that backs itself off for a time after it detects Task Manager has opened. (That, or some very subtle malware that doesn't want itself shown by Task Manager.)

Anyone have any ideas on performance-draining services/apps/malware that back off when Task Manager first starts?

Thanks in advance.

===========================
* a longer description would include having virus/malware protection on, active and updated; being up to date on Windows Update; running CCLeaner, Malware Bytes, and MS Malicious Software Detection; and taking snapshots before, during and after using Hijack This where no differences are shown; looking at Task Manager's list of processes and CPU usages, ....

Edited by joel9507, 09 April 2012 - 10:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Anyone have any ideas on performance-draining services/apps/malware that back off when Task Manager first starts?

Hi joel -
I can not think of a "quick idea", but if you would like us to take a quick look at your Windows system, please follow these directions -
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

This will give us a brief idea of installed items, and a few error logs -

Thank You -

#3 joel9507

joel9507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update. I've downloaded the toolbox and will run it and post the results when I next get the odd slowdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users