Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Modem Wireless Options?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drivinscool

drivinscool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:15 AM

Hi, I am new to the forum and to networking,
I've got myself a new wifi laptop, at the moment it's connected to my adsl modem via usb.
The modem only has a usb out, no ethernet connection.
I've been looking for a wireless option but i'm getting confused as to which router will work with a usb modem????

Is there one available or do I need to get a wireless 'modem' router and stop using the one supplied bt my isp? (thompson speedtouch adsl)

If this is the case which would anyone recommend for a single laptom home installation (around 50 )

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

Is this what you have? http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/prod330.htm
If so you will need to obtain a modem that has a ethernet port in order to use a router. A router is very good security. In the mean time you need to run a software firewall.

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 drivinscool

drivinscool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

Changing the modem will not affect my ISP/broadband connection will it?
is there a router/modem all in one unit you would recommend ir is it better to have them separate?
I use Zonealarm

Thanks for the advice

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

It depends on what you want. There are all-in-one modem/routers but I prefer the stand alone.
It should not may a difference which modem or modem/router you use as long as it is approved by your ISP. I would not by one until I dicussed it with my ISP.
With DSL which is PPPOe and relies on a password user name sign it may not matter. All DSL is not created equal. There are several proticols, that is why I say check with your ISP. When I say different proticols I refer to how the modem talks to the ISP not that there are different PPPOe standard.
Your ISP may well exchange your modem for one that better suits your needs.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users