Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Backup Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anonalchemist

anonalchemist

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hello, I'm pretty technologically illeterate and I'm trying to find software that is able to backup my Windows XP computer in case my current hard drive fails. What I'm looking for is something I can put in a new hard drive that can install the OS, installed programs and other files (or is there no such thing?). Or is there something that can install my previously installed programs and other work files, provided that I have an OS installed (I think I still have my XP CD-Rom somewhere out back). Also, the backup files themselves can be stored where? Is a USB stick suitable, or even on another computer? Can someone point me into the right direction into what key words I'm looking for in backup software (I see all these different options about backup recovery, emergency recovery...etc and I don't know the functions/differences), or is there a built in function in XP that can achiveve this. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by anonalchemist, 09 April 2012 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hello, take a look at Cobian Backup.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 boilerman

boilerman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

I have used Paragon Backup for periodic OS partition backup for many years. This is the latest FREE version.

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 Free http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/features.html

I also use Macrium Reflect and EASEUS backup software on occasion.

Edited by boilerman, 15 April 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#4 StillXPRro

StillXPRro

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

I use Seagate Disk Wizard, although I haven't a Seagate HD any longer. It's actually a free version of Acronis True Image. It will clone your entire drive, and it's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users