Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got The Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hello,

I got the blue screen yesterday, and I really don't know where to begin to fix this. After I turned the laptop back on, I hit escape to get the Startup Menu. From there, I ran the system diagnostics. I ran everything on that menu and all results were PASSED. Back to the Startup Menu - I hit F11 for a System Recovery, and nothing happens...so here I am! If I hit ENTER at the Startup Menu, I get the black screen with a curser at the top left. I don't know what to do from there.

I don't know if this helps, but within the last week, my daughter brought home a CD of music burned on her friend's computer and loaded it into my laptop. Since then, the laptop has been booted out of my home "network" a couple of times, so I wasn't able to get online. Could that music CD have put some weird virus on my laptop?

Any and all help to fix this problem will be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

1) Could that cd have contained a virus which transferred to your system? Yes.

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

You need to give more details, what machine do you have, the o/s and what did the bsod say? what happens when you try to boot into windows?

#4 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Right now I'm posting from my PC b/c I don't know how to get the infected laptop going in order to do any repairs. In other words, I'm still stuck at the Startup Menu. I can't get windows to start up so I can go online to download the repair, etc.

The machine is a Compaq laptop windows 7. If the BCOD gave me a code, I missed it unfortunately. I didn't know to look for that. Can't boot into windows.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Can you get into safe mode?

#6 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Not sure how to do that ... when it comes to this stuff, I need to be told how to do everything!

#7 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

To get to safe mode, when its booting up, after the BIOS screen, but before the windows screen tap F8 until a menu appears with things like "Repair Computer" "Safe Mode" "Safe mode with networking" etc.
Choose "Safe Mode". If you can boot in then run BlueScreenView (you will have to download it onto a USB stick before hand unless you can boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" when you'll have network access to download it)

#8 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think I need to go back over this. When I turn on the laptop, it says, pres Esc for Startup Menu. When I do that, I get a screen with: F1 System Information; F2 System Diagnostics; F9 Boot Device Options; F10 BIOS Set Up; F11 System Recovery; ENTER Continue Startup.

The only command that brings me somewhere is the F2 - I did all that last night and the results for everything was PASSED. F1,9,10 and 11 - when I hit those, absolutely nothing happens. When I hit enter, it just brings me to a black screen with a curser. When I turn on the computer, when it says press Esc for Startup Menu, I tried the F8 command at that point, and nothing happened. I didn't get the menu you're talking about.

#9 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

You shouldnt need to press ESC. What happens if you just let it boot normally?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

As soon as the system begins to boot start tapping the F8 function key. Continue tapping it until you get to the advanced boot option screen and then select safe mode.

#11 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

I started the laptop and began the F8 procedure tapping no less than 50 or so times ... nothing. Just a black screen w/curser.

#12 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

If I just turn it on and not hit escape for the menu, it goes to a black screen w/curser.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Do you have a Windows 7 DVD? If so, boot to it and run the startup repair options. If not, you may be relegated to the F11 system recovery option to which you alluded before. NOTE - if you use that option your system will revert to the state in which it was shipped and any data on the hd will be overwritten.

#14 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Of course, I can't find the windows 7 dvd - couldn't I pick up one of those at staples?

#15 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hello stillanovice,

Could you gave us the model number of the Compac laptop , like Presario C500 Notebook. Maybe a serial number or link to the specifications. The menu you are describing sounds like some laptop manufacturer's recovery menu of some type. With the Model and serial number we can check on how the manufacturer has their system recover setup. By the way, did you check to see if you have any USB devices plugged in or a disc in the CD drive, the system might be trying to boot off another device.

Please follow up when you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users