Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this malware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

In C:\Windows\Prefetch I have the following 5 files which I am unfamiliar with: AgAppLaunch, AgGIFaultHistory, AgGiFgAppHistory, AgGIGlobalHistory and AgRobust. Whenever I delete them they return soon afterwards. Are they legitimate files required for the correct operation of Prefetch?

Any help would very much be appreciated.

PS - Vista Home Premium OS

Edited by n01paranoid, 09 April 2012 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Quick google search turns up those are all necessary prefetch components for Vista. Any changes you may wish to make would require registry edits.If you continue I would suggest making a backup of your registry.

Take a look here for a discussion about these components, as related to gaming activity. This at least explains the function and clarifies that you are not dealing with malware.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/superfetch-precaches-command-conquer-and-supreme/a72f3d97-fca9-47e7-8778-53db1d355a78

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2013 - 06:32 PM.
Fixed link - Hamluis.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Whenever I delete them they return soon afterwards

Each time you turn on your computer, Windows keeps track of the way your computer starts and which programs you commonly open. Windows saves this information as a number of small files in the prefetch folder. The next time you turn on your computer, Windows refers to these files to help speed the start process.

The prefetch folder is a subfolder of the Windows system folder. The prefetch folder is self-maintaining, and there's no need to delete it or empty its contents. If you empty the folder, Windows and your programs will take longer to open the next time you turn on your computer.

What is the prefetch folder?

The Prefetch folder is used by Windows to track and save information related to commonly used files in order to speed up the boot process. The files in the Prefetch folder are .pf files. They are not executable and they are not copies of the actual files. If you delete a commonly used file from Prefectch, most likely the file will be regenerated by Windows.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to reduce my boot time and I'd already set Prefetch to 2 so as to only cache boot files. I'd already deleted applications in Prefetch and some sites flag the 5 entries I mentioned earlier as malware. It would seem that this is wrong and they are necessary Prefetch files.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

The recommendation to delete the contents of the Prefetch directory in order to speed up the boot process is a myth.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Yes, I agree. It's interesting how many otherwise reputable sites suggest it though.

From my own experience, having tested over the last week, one thing that has improved boot times by around 4 or 5 seconds on average is by changing the Prefetch parameter to 2 (boot only) rather than the default 3 (boot and applications). Strange but true. I can't attribute it to anything else I've done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users