Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network preventing windows from booting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hi,
Im having a similar issue to killerx525 in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic448270.html
I didnt want to hijack his thread so i started this one.
I get the black screen with only the cursor after typing in my password.
It seems to be related to my network though. When i disconnect my LAN cable or boot into safe mode (without networking) it boots fine, then i plug in my LAN cable once windows has finished booting.
I noticed this because over the past few days (when i could sometimes boot with the LAN cable connected) it wouldnt connect to the network without the cable being disconnected and reconnected.

Im also having issues connecting to 192.168.1.1 in my browser (yes this is my router address and i can connect using another computer).
I have had a quick browser through the event viewer but cant find anything obvious that it could be. I will save todays events and upload if anyone needs to see them.
I have ran a scan with malwarebytes and MSE and both come up clean.

I am running a custom build which has been fine since building it in January. Im running windows 7 Professional x64 with 8GB RAM and a Crucial M4 SSD with the OS on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

EDIT -
You can use a Flash Drive to transfer the program to the problem computer, then reverse the process to post here -

Edited by noknojon, 09 April 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#3 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

A Hard reboot of my router a 3rd time seems to have sorted it for now but if it happens again i'll run minitoolbox and post back here with the results file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users