Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking good USB flash drive that can be password-protected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

Good morning everyone,

I am looking for some method/program/or whatever...whereby I can password-protect any USB flash drive plugged into my computer. (That is to say...in order to access the USB drive and the data on it, a password must be provided).

I am seeking something which is relatively simple to use and preferably does not cost and arm & a leg to acquire.

Thank you for your time and any suggestions! :busy:

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Start here: http://www.truecrypt.org/

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

I appreciate your suggestion, dpunisher.

After reading through the first couple of pages of this Truecrypt program....I am finding it to be far too complex for me to understand. All I really want is a simple way to place a password to protect a USB flash drive.

For example, Outpost Firewall had a File/Folder Locking feature in which a user could list any files, folders, or and entire drive which they wanted to protect via a password. (Unfortunately for some reason...the feature has not been working lately and no one at Agnitum seems to know why...hence, my reason for asking for an alternative here that is as simple as possible to use as what Agnitum has.

Truecrypt, unfortunately, is just too complicated for my simpleton mind to understand.

I appreciate your help just the same.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

well, maybe a hardware solution?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007960%20600038377&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=522&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4082247&SID=skim3687X620620Xb4b208a9bea4de14397eaa92f3584da4

or another option. Zip the file you want with password encryption. Try 7zip (it can be had as a portable app, and put on the USB drive with your file). Zip the file with password encryption. You have your file encrypted, and as a bonus, you might save some space on your removable drive.

Edited by dpunisher, 10 April 2012 - 02:43 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

Thanks very much for the additional info! Since I'm not knowledgeable about "zipping files"...it might be better for me to look into those USB drives you mentioned on the Newegg site.

spc3rd

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I purchased two of these last year for a student. She says they have worked flawlessly.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Padlock 2 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 256bit AES Encryption Model CMFPLA8GB
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I appreciate the info, Buddy215!

I checked out the item you mentioned, and decided to go ahead and order it. It should arrive in about a week, so I'll see how well it functions for my needs.

Thanks again.

spc3rd

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Two of the informative reviews there....

Pros: I would recommend this flash drive, plain and simple. It's easily encrypted and decrypted. It's cheap when you factor in the capacity and the embedded security features (256-bit AES encryption and a combo lock). And there's no software to install!

Included is a nice-looking lanyard with a spring-loaded clip. The device itself looks great and will probably absorb a great deal of trauma if you're prone to dropping things/crushing things.

It's encrypted by a user-supplied combination 4 - 10 numbers in length, and setting up the PIN is incredibly easy in the instruction manual. Locking and unlocking is also very easy. To unlock, just press the 'key' icon, enter your combo, then press the key icon again and you're ready to plug it into a USB socket. A flashing green light intuitively hints that it's ready to use once you've entered in the right combo. To lock it up again, simply remove it from the USB socket - it's now powered off and locked. Too easy.

Cons: There seems to be no faults here, only positive attributes. Like another reviewer said, the dust cap can slide off but probably only with intentional removal. Still, Corsair could've included some catch device to hold it there firmly. This won't affect my rating, though.

Pros: Very impact resistant. Does what it says on the tin. Easy to enter a password. No issues in operation. Survived a trip through the washer and dryer with no errors.

Cons: Light is blue. Cap is not attached. Slightly slower than non-encrypted flash drives, but this is to be expected and does not hinder the drive.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks a heap for the added info! From your description, it certainly sounds like it will be simple enough to use...and that's important (in my case...not being very techie & all). :thumbup2:

I doubt it will get a lot of bumps and drops, as I just plan to leave it plugged into my own computer. (I had transferred all files from my hard drive which had any personably-identifiable info in them to the flash drive).

I felt like it would be better security-wise than leaving them on the HDD.

Edited by spc3rd, 10 April 2012 - 12:10 PM.

spc3rd

#10 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hi again Buddy215!

Just wanted to update here. I just received the Corsair 8 GB USB flash drive I ordered from Newegg (based on your recommendation, BTW), and thus far, have found it to meet my needs perfectly! The instruction manual is very simple & straightforward that even someone with an IQ of 15 could understand! I went ahead and transferred the sensitive files/folders from another unsecured USB drive to this Corsair.

Thanks again for your help! :thumbsup:

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users